KINGSTON USB DataTraveler IG3 - 8 Gb

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Galileo Figaro, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    I'd like to buy this memory stick by mail order:

KINGSTON USB DataTraveler IG3 - 8 Gb

And I'd like to know whether it's bootable or not.

They're offered on sale and I intend to buy 5-6 of them and use them as WXP and W7 installation media. Kingston's technical pages say nothing about bootability, couldn't find anything by googling either.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Memory sticks do not come by default as bootable devices you need to make it bootable there is various software available for that.

3. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    WINUSB will make USB bootable and copy installation ISO.

4. Galileo Figaro

Sep 6, 2010
    Sorry for not being clear in my description.
    I know that USB sticks need to be made bootable, like with that program from HP.
    What I am wondering about has to do with the fact that some USB sticks simply can not be made bootable, no matter what software is applied. There is for instance a 4GB stick from Maxell that can't be made to boot.

5. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    i have 2 kingston usb data travellers and both can boot windows with no problem. most decent sticks can be made bootable. both are 4gb and are adequate, 8gb is a bit much when windows only require about 3gb for a bootable stick.

6. Galileo Figaro

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks guys!

7. debian_llx

debian_llx MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    You need to the manufacturer's U disk production tools, the U disk into a cd-rom mode, and then the system iso file write to the cd-rom inside guidance is good

8. lijokv7

lijokv7 MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    Latest Product Of Kingston

Read the informative and helpful news about the 1 TB Kingston flash drive and its full specs.in gotechmax.com

9. davejunia

davejunia MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    You might also want to make sure that the motherboard you are using allows you to boot from USB devices. Most newer boards do.