KMS Protocol V7 for Win 8.1 Update 1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by intelarmamd, Jan 18, 2014.

1. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    hi,

Just wish to know if MS would upgrade the KMS Protocol for the coming Update 1 from v6 to version 7 or would it remain the same. Because if they upgrade we would need new KMS activation methods and MTK to install the Update 1. Kindly inform.:confused:

2. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Pro tip: Don't upgrade until you're sure others are able to activate. :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #3 Smorgan, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Pro tip: Look into the activation stuff yourself. If you can see the changes from Windows 8 to 8.1 then your a pro in the license category lol

Novice tip: If people can't activate after GDR then common sense will reward you.

Now for my personal stance on this. I don't think we will see such an update take place because it would rework the protocol itself and apply changes similar to WAT in Windows 7. That being said Windows 8 / 8.1 has been a massive failure on part of Microsoft so they want to put this behind themselves as quickly as possible. That being said in all likely-hood we will see Windows 8 / 8.1 fade away after the release of Windows 9. I don't see why there would be a reason to upgrade the licensing after so little sales have taken place for MS.

4. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    Maybe Microsoft will upgrade KMS protocol from v6 to v6.1. :D

But I think it will be same, with some improvements.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If I was a betting man, I'd bet against there being an update to the KMS protocol.
    You have to remember that KMS activation are exclusively for corporate clients, and messing with their activation based on something that will get piped through windows update, is just not going to happen.