KUC a utility to check you Windows 7; 2008 R2; WMS; or Win embedded update status

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by komm, Dec 2, 2011.

1. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011

· Updates of the repo folder are now copied from subfolders (Thanks to ADamb for suggestion).
    Note: Downloader will still save files in the main repo folder
    · Updated database.
    · some new updates.
    · Updated GDR to keep.
    · If the working folder exists, “Copy_files_2_add.cmd” and “Remove_OLD.cmd” will be created there.

2. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011

· Added new KUC-State “OK/INFO”: update is installed, but some additional actions may be needed.
    From time to time I will update this for old updates.
    It’s a new KUC-State, so I have to go trough all the updates to look if, for example, a registry change is needed.
    It will also be a little bit complicated, if an updates is superseded the registry-change may still be needed.
    Actually there is only one hotfix marked with this (2655998).
    · Fixed: some corrupted hotfixes on my server (2555958x64, 2456741x64, 2477042x64).
    · Fixed: text on startup screen for creating offline-image packages.txt file.
    · Fixed: if using /OnlyCabs all .msu were downloaded, not only the missing once. (Thanks to Jekyll40 for finding the issues)
    · Updated database.

3. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011
    #44 komm, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    (OP)

· Added new other Addition DA.
    · Updated database.

4. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011
    #45 komm, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)

· Updated GDR to Keep.
    · Updated database.
    · New command line switch for offline integration
    Code:
    /DVD-Image-dir:”f:\offline”.
    Replace “f:\offline” with the folder you mount your wim image.
    Note: This is a first try of this new option, so handle with care.
    Specials for this switch:
    1. No DVD prohibited updates will be offered to install.
    2. If you have already installed one of this updates they will be marked as removable.
    3. Limit for max Updates disabled.
    4. The offline folder is automatically set in the cmd files.
    5. No reboot after running update.cmd
    (more to come)​

5. levin91e

levin91e MDL Novice

May 9, 2012
    thanks for this info mate.

6. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011

· Updated database.
    · Number of known updates 1099.
    · No Program changes / No known issues.

7. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011
    #50 komm, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    (OP)

· Updated database.
    · Enhancement: info about installed IE8 packages is now shown on the first screen.
    · Enhancement: search for missing files if download fails. So you can download them manually.
    · Fixed: ADFS and AD LDS were shown as possible on server core.
    · Fixed: Direct Access 20 was shown as possible on server core or embedded images..
    · Fixed: 2685051 was offered as normal update but it’s for IIS. (Thanks to PointZero).
    · Fixed: 2695401 was not found on my server. (Thanks to drizzle).
    · Fixed: Download button was not enabled in some situations.

8. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011
  9. compstuff

compstuff MDL Senior Member

Jan 16, 2011
    My Customized KUC Setup

After receiving permission from Komm to use the KUC and tweak some of his scripts I created somewhat of a custom setup that I though may be helpful to report on... and Komm though it may lend itself to further development.

It all started with me using WinToolKit as my primary source of integrating hotfixes, updates and some other SFX/silent installers. I used a two step process where in step 1 I integrated all updates that could be done offline (I used a custom maintained update list based on all of McRip's and Komm's work ) and selected the toolkits LDR-QFE Mode. In step 2 I would use the toolkits SFX/silent installers option to add anything that needed to be done online and also some other fixes. Once done that gave me my "Base" image that I would run in VBox for tests.

That's when I started using the KUC and was surprised at how much more it showed regarding LDR/GDR corrections, deprecated fixes that should be removed and IE8 components that could be removed since I already integrated IE9. These items were consistently found across all my tested images so I decided to try something with the KUC tool & scripts.

I used the tool to find and download the items needed and create all the updating and remove scripts. I then modified the scripts into 3 classes;

1 CLEAN BASE ( the items that I want to always remove from every image and will rarely change )
    2 CLEAN LDR ( LDR items I want to remove but that could change as new releases and fixes come out )
    3 Add LDR ( items that may have installed GDR but not LDR or other LDR items that I wanted to add)

I added each of the scripts as separate runonce items to my image via the wintoolkit so that they will run during the install. I used the $OEM$\$1 method to create the wu/LDR folder and added the LDR hotfixes items to it.

The result was that my image ran the complete installation and scripts and the install passes the MSU and the current KUC with perfect results.

Just my wacky way of doing things but I truly can't get over how using these two amazing tools gave me such incredible results. My greatest thanks to Komm and to Lego for their work. I simply can't imagine how they do it and how much work they put into this!!!

10. geneticplasma

geneticplasma MDL Senior Member

May 13, 2011
    Since I used KUC and installed 290 fu**ing Updates, Windows boots about 15 seconds slower :mad:

Sorry, but I can't suggest to use KUC:negative:

11. komm

komm MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2011