LAN Connection - Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Carel, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi all, I have a little problem here. I want to LAN 2x PCs together & connect the ADSL to one of the PCs & then share that internet connection on both the PCs. In other words, I have 1 ADSL modem {connects via LAN cable} & 2x Computers. I want to use the 1 ADSL modem on 2x PCs at the same time, but, I don't want to buy a switch or a router, because nowadays I am only able to find a 24-Port switch & I don't want to spend so much money, just to use 3x-Ports. I do have a lot of LAN cards. So, I was thinking of putting 2x LAN cards in one of the PCs, then connect the ADSL to PC-1, which will have 2x LAN ports, then connect LAN card no2 to PC-2's LAN card. Is this possible to set up the Sahring like this? So I can use the internet on both PCs? 2x PCS, 3x LAN ports & 1 ADSL modem? As said, the idea is to eliminate the use of a router & a switch. Connect ADSL to PC-1 & LAN PC-1 to PC-2 with the 2nd LAN adapter. How exactly do I do this, in Windows XP?

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    You can do that. It is certainly possible. Make sure ICS is enabled.
    But why not just buy an integrated router and be done with it ? They sell at as low as $50, depending on your needs, and most have no more than 4 ports.

If you do it the way you describe, bear in mind that pc1 will have to be running for pc2 to be able to access the internet.

3. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah, I can buy a switch or PCI / PCI-E card, but the problem is: These MSI boards are not designed very good. My GFX card, covers 3x slots (Big aftermarket cooler). It has 2x 16X PCI-E slots available, with 2x 1X slots inbewteen. It actually blocks all of them... Then, 1 of the 2x PCI slots are also not working anymore {for some reason} & the only, last PCI slot left, are being used by my TV-Card. Thus, no extra open slots... I don't use the TV-Card anymore, so I can remove it & there will e 1 PCI slot available. LAN cards are small, thosecards supporting up to 4x LAN connections, will certainly block my GFX card fan. Anyways, I already have a problem with the card blocking the SATA ports {Thanks to MSI's *excelent* design}. Anyways, PC-1 will always be switched on if PC-2 are switched on. Since I do have 1000's of LAN cards lying around, it will be much quicker, more efficient & cheaper & not any faster, nor slower than a router or Switch. I want to share internet at a games LAN & for other reasons, so PC-2 will be switched on if PC-1 is running. I will try it some time... Thanks, I'll be glad if it's possible...

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    You can use ICS and an assortment of LAN cards and it will function with a single PC running ICS and the other two getting leases from it.

But they're right that a very low cost router is a wiser choice from several standpoints...least of which include the inherint reliability of a hardware applicance serving as your unsolicited ingress filter, ability to foreward service ports easily and far less power consumption running a 7 watt router 24/7/365 than a 50-150 watt computer with cooling fans and harddrives that can fail in service.....to name a few.

Hey just 2 cents worth today guys....

5. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yes, I totally agree with you guys, but please keep in mind: I'm still in school, so I don't work / earn money at all like you guys do. I do repair computers in spare time & work for people that makes ID10T errors, but that's it. I've grown up this way: "If you want something, you'll work for it {not for your parents, for someone else, someone you don't know}". I do work from home {if I'm not at school}, but hey, there are girls that have to be entertained, I'll need every $ they can squeeze out of me... :)

The other thing is, that extra 7w will eventually use more power in my case, because, as said, PC-2 will never run if PC-1 is not running. Thus the router will cause 150w PC + 7w = more power than just the PC itself. PC-2 will not run {I won't be using it, if I'm not using PC-1, at the same time}. As said, this is for at a LAN {in most cases}, thus, you'll understand why PC-2 won't be running if PC-1 isn't running, I wont be LANing against myself. lol. The other thing is, I use a UPS, and where I live, surges & power dips occur quite frequently, as in, every hour. I really think in my case {not in your case}, it will be better for me to use the LAN card method {for me}. I don't know whether I can connect a router to a UPS & I definitly don't want the thing to drop my connection every now and then. If I won't be LANing {which requires both PCs to run anyways}, then PC-2 will definitly be switched off. I do have a 24-port ethernet switch, but I don't want to use that. I totally agree with you guys that running PC-1 for nothing would waste energy, so in that case a router would be better, but as said, PC-2 will never...... So, PC-1 will never run just so PC-2 can have internet, I have thought that far. If that was the case, then I can promise you I would've bought a router on the first day.

The only problem I seem to have is the fact that I can't seem to manage setting up the ICS in Windows XP. I've followed several guides & have found that the option [checkbox] to tick "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" are not under my "Advanced" tab, there's no such option. Why? Can you guys maybe just help me out on this one, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, since I don't see that damn otion in any of my computers? Maybe you guys know of some better guide to it?

6. yunus

yunus MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    pc1 have 2 network card

7. SixKillerLV

SixKillerLV MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    PC1
    1. Add ICS on first net adapter which is connected to ADSL.
    2. To second net adapter add :
    adress IP 192.168.0.1
    mask 255.255.255.0

PC2
    1. Add to net adapter:
    adress IP 192.168.0.2
    mask 255.255.255.0
    default getaway IP 192.168.0.1
    2. Write down DNS server adress from PC1 first adapter and put in PC2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...