Laptop Cooling ! (Intel XTU)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by digiquandry, Dec 16, 2018.

1. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    #1 digiquandry, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    (2018-12-16: EDITED THREAD TITLE)

Not long ago I bought a performance laptop.

In the past I always used my desktop for such applications; I had cheap laptops just for basic internet access. This one has a decent video card; and I've found that these types of laptops are notoriously difficult to cool.

Unlike for a desktop, you can't just buy and install a 3rd-party cooling solution.

I bought a laptop cooler and, as quality as it is, it really makes little-to-no impact on thermals.

But I found a solution so I thought I would share it.

I have had experience overclocking for over a decade, but I had never really heard of "under" clocking; specifically, under-volting.

To make a long story short, if you have never heard of it, check out a program called Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility...Or Intel XTU.

There are many versions and each one is specific to certain CPU or chipsets. So, you might have to try several versions before you find one that works on your computer.

For years this app has been branded and included on the driver CDs of most high-end video cards.

It has it's flaws; for example, you might have to run it every time you turn the computer on.

The software, though powerful, can be used by any novice. There are good videos on Youtube on how to use it, so don't be intimidated.

At any rate, after much testing I was able to get a stable under clock and drop my temps by at least 10 degrees under full CPU load. No more thermal throttling...no more maxed-out fans sounding like jet engines. No hardware needed. And it's free.

And the monitoring (graphing) capabilities of the program are stupendous. Actually, I am amazed that I was able to accomplish this with a piece of software.

I thought I would share my experience.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. psi7

psi7 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2018
    What did you do exactly in this program? What parts did you "slow down"?
    I have this one. Good program for monitoring temps.

4. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
  5. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    XTU allows you to create a "Profile." When I use the program I simply load mine and get to work.

It also allows you to import and export that profile.

I am willing to share mine. That way, you can simply import the profile and have all my settings; and be immediately up and running.

I don't upload regularly to the internet, so please tell me where I can upload it without having to sign up or join anything.

The file is ultra tiny.

6. psi7

psi7 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2018
    You could do this on wetransfer(.com?), it's interesting also if you can slow down a discrete video card (Optimus) with this.

7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    You can also reduce your CPU to like 85 or 90% in the Power Settings, and achieve similar results.

8. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    #8 digiquandry, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    (OP)