Laptop on a lockdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Guss, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Guss

Guss MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi everyone,

My friend gave me to fix his laptop. But I'm having problems. He told me that he wanted to fix it himself but failed and now it will not load up.

I installed Vista DVD (that is what he had installed already) and try to do a system restore. But, I can't even load up the DVD fully.

I tried to create USB Boot ups with command, also no luck from my part. I run Windows 7 on my computers.

My last chose is to get an external HD reader that supports SATA. Plug the drive in and save all the stuff to my desktop or DVDs. Then clean the drive and do a full, clean format and install. Problem with this option is that I need to go and buy a product that I will use only once.

So, is there anyone that can help me with this problem.

Here are his laptop info and the problem that comes up on the screen:

DELL Vostro 1700
    BIOS: A01
    Processor: Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 1GB
    HD: 120GB SATA
    Video: Intel

Here is the message I get:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Thank you all.

2. reshu

reshu MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    Try it

Hi I think ur problem is due to faulty installation DVD or faulty DVD ROM, try another DVD or DVD rom

3. mhzjunkie

mhzjunkie MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    I just encountered a similar problem with a Sony Vaio laptop. It was locked up due to spyware and viruses. No way to get it to load, not even in safe mode. The laptop had a SATA had drive. I removed the hard drive from the laptop and connected it to my desktop computer scanned and cleaned it that way.

The SATA hard drive from the laptop plugged right into the standard SATA power and cable on my desktop computer no problem.