Laptop Screen

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by dragonfire665, Sep 30, 2013.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    So, I think, I know what could be wrong. But I want a 2nd, 3rd, 100th (lol) opinion from the experts. My wife has a Acer Aspire 5738 model MS2264 (this has some years already). As she was going down the stairs, it felt off her hands, and it hit only one step (as she was already at the bottom). The computer still turns one. You can hear it doing its loading, heck, I can see it through connection by HDMI and my TV. However, I can not see anything from the screen (LCD). Do know, is not showing any back light, is just completely black. Like it has never being turned on. I see no flickering or anything. So I am guessing the LCD is down for the count. There is really no structural damage, except scuffs on one corner.

I can tell that is not the GPU, or CPU or even the MOBO since it still functionally normal. But just to verify, do you guys think the same?

Thank you in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First step should be to find out it's the Screen of the MB which has a problem. Just connect a normal monitor to the Laptop and use the Hot Key for to open that screen for viewing, which is to hold down the FN Key and press the F5 Key on an Acer Laptop. May you'll need to press 2-3 times. If the screen shows pictures, than maybe the Screen of the Laptop has a problem and properly i dead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    OK, once I'm back from work today, I'll do both as suggested above. Thanks a bunch guys.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i just fixed a similar model. had CCFL backlight not LED.. but i had to replace with LED.. the inverter LED adapter plug can short out if not insulated!!

good luck finding a cheap ccfl 15.6 (last i saw were 99$)if the backlight broke.. but it could be inverter.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's also possible that the Data cable from MB to Screen got a problem!

And again: first connect an external Monitor and see that the MB is working well and if doesn't, than you force the problem to find out what really is broken!! Could be a lot!

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    OP already mentioned it works via HDMI > TV

7. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    #8 dragonfire665, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    (OP)
    I was jut going to reply with that. Im taking the LED out and see if the inverter is connected. If not, I will do as Latin said, just buy a new one. Heck, it beats buying a new laptop.

Update: well its definitely the LED screen. I took a closer look at it, with some lights, and there are a bunch of dark spots of BLACK around it, like it bleed from the inside. So, I am just going to order another one. Ill update once i received.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Just a small correction.. LED. screens don't have inverter.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That didn't mean that the MB is 100% OK! I had one laptop from Acer which was play well on it's own screen and external Monitor but HDMI. While claiming by Acer, they told me it also could be vice versa, that HDMI will work but own screen and external Monitor!

So, I think just to test with an external Monitor cost's nothing except a very little bit of effort!

Just my two Satangs!

10. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    #11 dragonfire665, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    (OP)
    Well, I have a small issue, here. I have a screen model B156XW01 V.0, and like one already mentioned above, there is no place selling below $99. However, I cant find a place with such price. All i find are $160, the least. Those anyone know a good place to buy? Also, I read of some monitors that come with the converter. Read they are good but I run the chance of not working. Have anyone dealt with them? They go for a good price, but I am not buying if its not going to work.

My acer is a Aspire 5738/5338 (MS2264)

@pisthai, I understand your point, the only issue, I have to order a WGA cable, I only have digital cable.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #12 LatinMcG, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    only thing that dont work right is the brightness level if u convert to LED from CCFL. like lower levels are not enough power so it turns off .. not dims
    also the inverter adapter plug has multiple plugs.. tape them or the gray metalic cable shorts out LCD if it touches any of the pins.

honestly i would find the original screen for battery life on brightness diming. LED conversion kinda sucks.

ebay item 290988681283
    or just search for B156XW01 then look for the V after search results show. .. more options

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just take your laptop to some friend who has an normal desktop computer and check with his monitor.

I wouldn't spend any money before known what the hell is damaged.

13. nicholes

nicholes MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2013
    Just link a regular observe to the Laptop and use the Hot Key for to start that display for watching, which is to keep down the FN Key and media the F5 Key on an Acer Laptop. May you'll need to media 2-3 periods. If the display reveals images, than maybe the Screen of the Laptop has a issue and effectively.

14. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    Well I guess it was my fault. I found a screen, the same for $80, working order,but I still see nothing from the screen. I can still see through my hdmi. I'm going to follow someone's post here, and connect it to a monitor, see if I get any picture through there.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    You can see through HDMI, so the problem is between the board and the screen, if you've replaced the screen, maybe the cable is at fault

16. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    By cable do you mean the gray cable or the inverter?

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Could be either depending on the image on the screen, If you have no backlight but can see a faint image on the screen, then the Inverter - if the screen is dead, then you might have an image and / or backlight, screens die strangely, normally looks like ink on the screen

18. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    Right now, all i see is the same screen look as if the screen was not connected. It does not even light up. Just nothing. However, I just dont understand why I can still see and function through HDMI. So, I am just going to order both, the Display adapter and the inverter, not a huge expensive.

Here is the big question, how much of a pain is to remove the display adapter?. I have never gone as far to change such cable in any laptop.

19. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    #20 dragonfire665, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    (OP)
    While just hoping for some luck, I can see a picture on the new screen, but is very faint, with a hand held flashlight pointed to the screen I can see it well. It's one of those looks that you will think with raising the brightness will fix it, but no. It doesn't.