Laptop shuts off as soon as Windows 10 starts to load

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ciscokid, Aug 27, 2015.

1. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    The hiberfil.sys can be easily corrupted.
    Open an elevated command prompt and type: powercfg /h off and then dir c:\ /a /p to check if the hibernation was turned off. This will list all the files and folders on your windows partition root. You need to look for hiberfil.sys. If it's missing then the hibernation was successfully turned off.
    Now - powercfg /h on, Check for hibernation file presence (hiberfil.sys). It should be there now: and run -dir c:\ /a /p now re-enable fast startup via Control Panel.

If the problem was a corrupt Hib, then this might work, but if it's corrupts again, it's back to this. If this didn't work for repairing Hib, then the problem wasn't corruption.

2. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Unfortunately, there are no BIOS updates for the board.

I highly doubt that the hiberfil.sys gets corrupted that easily on so many machines.

3. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Kokosmann, my laptop was fresh out of the box with the latest i7 processor so it seems to happen on any hardware.

In my case, your fix to disable Hybrid Boot did the trick. Very annoying problem to say the least.

Installed Win7 x64 and Win 8.1 x64, no problems at all. Only Windows 10 x64.

4. LOQUILLO

LOQUILLO MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2012
    With this new version of Windows 10 1511 10586.3, this problem has disappeared and the boot is perfect, as it should have always been.
    :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...