laptop won't boot windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lynchknot, Jun 20, 2026.

  1. CaptainKirk1966

    CaptainKirk1966 One of the Green Guys
    Staff Member

    Oct 31, 2009
    2,982
    2,014
    90
    #101 CaptainKirk1966, Jul 18, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2026
    It looks like an internet or dns name resolution problem. (get.activated.win could not be resolved) :confused:
    Can you ping that site?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Carlos Detweiller

    Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream
    Staff Member

    Dec 21, 2012
    8,256
    10,607
    270
    It was stated somewhere on massgrave that some ISPs block that site.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Itzisaacog

    Itzisaacog MDL Junior Member

    Apr 4, 2024
    77
    64
    0
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    why did it work the third time? I didn't change anything. Do those errors state that the site is blocked or unavailable? I think it said there were other errors.

    BTW, the laptop I just installed 10ent IoT is not booting again. Startup repair did not work. There is no system restore point. What else can i try? I think it may have to do with antivirus checking preboot for malware or something like that.
     
  5. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    mass.jpg
     
  6. Doman

    Doman MDL Novice

    May 11, 2015
    14
    4
    0
    Not boot how exactly?
    Not starting from SSD at all??
    Error message during startup?
    Locking up/error during the Windows startup sceen/logo?

    Also you should turn off secure boot if it is activated.
    This can give sometimes problems on (not only) older systems when Windows tries to update Secure Boot certificates.
     
  7. CaptainKirk1966

    CaptainKirk1966 One of the Green Guys
    Staff Member

    Oct 31, 2009
    2,982
    2,014
    90
    #108 CaptainKirk1966, Jul 20, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2026
    I'm getting really baffled here. You say the laptop will once again no longer boot, then in the next post you ping the get.activated.io site - was that with the same laptop? Or different device on the same internet provider? Have you run memory and disk diagnostics on that troublesome laptop?
     
  8. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    I allowed some kind of boot scan with Bitdefender I think it was. I rebooted and it would not boot. The older laptop has 24h2 wn11 ioT and has no problems. This laptop has win10 ioT. This is the one with problems. This thread is about this laptop. I just reset windows and it's running now.
     
  9. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    I'm getting a lot of blue screens. They seem to happen when I play videos through Firefox. It would blue screen then reboot automatically only to say there is no operating system. I then shut it off and restart it and it boots up until I play another video. I have gone to HP and downloaded the graphic driver which is older than the driver I had installed but it still crashes. Here are some screenshots of event viewer if anyone sees or knows what the problem is.

    fferror.jpg sec.jpg crit.jpg
     
  10. hoak

    hoak MDL Addicted

    Nov 13, 2009
    721
    2,008
    30
  11. hoak

    hoak MDL Addicted

    Nov 13, 2009
    721
    2,008
    30
    #113 hoak, Jul 25, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2026
    lynchknot did not mean to offend, or discourage you from asking for help here, it's what these forums are are about and for. But just a bare bones Operating System install has an enormous number of moving targets that can be a source of conflicts & issues from: specific hardware, firmware and how it's configured. We still don't have your system specifications, what firmware version your running , driver versions or a list of software you've installed. Everyone is trying to help you trouble shoot in a situation not unlike asking a mechanic to find out what's wrong with your car blindfolded...
     
  12. CaptainKirk1966

    CaptainKirk1966 One of the Green Guys
    Staff Member

    Oct 31, 2009
    2,982
    2,014
    90
    Surely some of the problems of @lynchknot and his troublesome laptop could be self inflicted. But his mention of the swollen battery and damaged keyboard still concern me. There may have been ram sticks, disk drives, or or other electronics boards in close proximity to that battery. I have seen no mention of any hardware diagnostics, ram or disk drive testing, being performed before reinstalling windows. Maybe a good idea to boot some sort of a rescue disk (Sergei strelec??) and run some tests.
     
  13. hoak

    hoak MDL Addicted

    Nov 13, 2009
    721
    2,008
    30
    #115 hoak, Jul 25, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2026
    And there's so much more: just the UEFI CA 2023 Certificate update/issue and Bitdefender's Ring-O driver alone have have produced issues just like lynchknot's for tens of millions Windows installations, and there's so much more that it could be like bad RAM as the Captain mentions, other software, and obviously hardware like dimensional stress breaking board traces or more typically severing chip package contact from swollen battery -- and we're still black-boxing this...
     
  14. Carlos Detweiller

    Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream
    Staff Member

    Dec 21, 2012
    8,256
    10,607
    270
    Not to mention the board itself. The gold/platinum leads on and inside the circuit board are delicate, and some of them are runway-length optimized. Heat can damage them slightly, which changes signal runtimes and can lead to all sorts of hard-to-diagnose issues.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    #117 lynchknot, Jul 28, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2026
    (OP)
    hdsent.jpg I haven't installed much yet. I've only used 50GB so far. I wasn't able to navigate to system information until this install. The blue screens seems to have stopped. I removed the swollen battery long ago. The damaged key is actually the pgdown key It's the only key that isn't working. I installed Bitdender because AV comparatives gives it high scores. Is there a better alternative?

    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC
    Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-5VG8S11
    System Manufacturer HP
    System Model HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-y0XX
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU X7U84UAR#ABA
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F.18, 6/29/2020
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Embedded Controller Version 5.11
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
    BaseBoard Product 82B7
    BaseBoard Version 05.11
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.6456"
    User Name DESKTOP-5VG8S11\ROMzombi
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 6.87 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 7.88 GB
    Page File Space 2.88 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
     
  16. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    ....and this is all that i've installed at this point

    programs.jpg
     
  17. hoak

    hoak MDL Addicted

    Nov 13, 2009
    721
    2,008
    30
    #119 hoak, Jul 28, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2026
    I see a multitude of shovelware I'd never install including redundant security software that's bound to create conflicts galore (and parts of itself useless in this setup), slow your system to a crawl, and backdoor everything... Similarly the HP Support Software (unless your employer requires it) is a performance robbing rats nest, and another backdoor to your system and your data. Three browsers and only one that's modestly secure is kind of like putting extra wheels on the car because you have the tools and can... It's not surprising your SSD is in good shape it's your RAM that the Captain and I thought was at greater risk of being a source of the sort of issues you're reporting, though any third party kernel level driver can do this as well -- like Bitdefender.
     
  18. lynchknot

    lynchknot MDL Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    153
    10
    10
    #120 lynchknot, Jul 30, 2026
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2026
    (OP)
    So what would you remove (bitdefender) and what would you install? I disabled the antivirus in comodo firewall and disabled firewall in bitdefender... I don't think this laptop is crawling. Its running normally right now.