laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by luther417, Aug 12, 2011.

1. luther417

luther417 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    I have old dell inspiron 600m run xp pro with 1gb ram its 1.3mhz and 30gb hard drive I was thinking about upgrading to Core 2 Duo for about 250.00 running xp pro or just add another 1gb of ram maybe add bigger hard drive all for under 100.00 and save the 250.00 add some more to it and buy something that more up to date 2 duo and just add the ram I just use a laptop for checking email and keeping my costumers records my hard drive is all most full and don't want remove anything to get more space so my questions what do you thing kept what I got and go with something better at a later time when I have more to spend

thanks for the help

luther417

2. tomah

tomah MDL Senior Member

Sep 25, 2010
    If I'm correct, this laptop is at least 7 years old. First, I'm not sure you would be able to upgrade the CPU on this as the MB would need to support the CPU. Secondly, I would probably not spend much into it since new laptops with i3 CPUs are now available from about the $450+ range. You could spend for some RAM but you don't mention speed to be a problem. Buying an internal HD would most likely be a waste since it is probably in the pre-SATA days which means you won't be able to use it easily in a new laptop (when you do upgrade). You could buy a USB thumb drive to add some storage space (in my area, you can get 32GB for about $50-60 regular price).