Lastpass Hacked

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by windsman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
  2. SlimRock

SlimRock MDL Senior Member

Dec 25, 2011
    #2 SlimRock, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This may be the final call to change our "Master Account" password but a well reputed password protection online vault that gets hacked no. of times and passwords are stolen? is it worth using anymore? :nono:

Is there something which can be trusted now? First the Federal breach & now this? are we doomed or it's just the beginning?
    There were intrusion reports last year but they said there is nothing much to worry about? Really?
    To be honest, if our personal data is compromised so easily then it sucks to be a premium member. :negative:

The only notable pseudo security measure they care about is this :

3. jasoos

jasoos MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2012
    This is too Bad too Bad

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    IMHO, anyone having someone else keep their passwords, needs help far beyond someone other than themselves holding their passwords.

5. speedy1979

speedy1979 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2012
    So is it safe to assume that you have better solution for remembering 90, 15 character ASCII pseudo-random generated pass codes?

6. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #6 Dark Knight, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    I couldn't agree more, as I wrote in another forum .......

This is one of the risks you run by letting an online service keep track of your passwords.

This has to be one of the worst ideas ever, why? because EVERYTHING on the internet no matter how secure one thinks it MIGHT be is available for the taking, it all just depends on who wants it and how badly they want it.
    I understand the whole concept of LastPass that the data sent to their site is encrypted before it leaves your machine and is stored as a pseudo-random blob in their database, yada , yada, yada.
    Nothing, let me say this again ..... NOTHING on the internet is safe and is subject to theft, cracking, hacking and what have you.

My advice is that since this is not the first time this has happened with LastPass, ditch the account, delete all your passwords and information they have saved and don’t be so naïve with these services that store your passwords online, store you passwords OFFLINE in a secure place that only YOU know about. I'm not saying to store them locally on your system, I'm talking COMPLETELY offline. I have practiced this for years and am proud to say that I have never had to scramble to change passwords because of my passwords being made available through some services or software incompetence.

There are some that say that we must keep ahead of the hackers, bots and what have you and to keep diligent, diligent for what? so we can actually see and watch it the next time it happens? The ONLY way to beat something like this is to NOT give them anything they want to take.

IMO, if you are paying and trusting your online life to a service or software, that is just purely ludicrous, careless and outright laziness, if you continue to do so after this breach and reading this, then honestly don't say you haven't been warned when your information is what is taken next.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #7 EFA11, Jun 16, 2015
    if you need that many, keep them on your person or build a better mental memory. I would never rely on someone or something to keep my codes, never. It is that simple for me. I have HIPAA among many others that require the utmost security and they are never placed on a computer other than being entered into secure zone.

Fortunately for me, my mind holds them, but even with that I do have a locked firebox in a vault as well.

ed-
    I would also add what is in the vault is hand written. Yes, anal lol

8. Dark Knight

Jul 14, 2013
    #8 Dark Knight, Jun 16, 2015
    Yup .......

A hand written piece of paper that is placed in a fire and weather proof lockbox or safe.

If you care about your personal information and finances you'll take the time to manually input your passwords instead of relying on software or a service to do it for you.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether or not the passwords are breached or can be breached, but lets say just for sh!ts and giggles that they were breached, do you really think LastPass cares about it? are they going to restore your online life? No they are not, they are going to say they are sorry, give you a pat on your butt and send you on your way, after all they already have your money you paid them for entrusting your online life in them and the owner of LastPass can go back to sucking on mai tai's on the beach in the Bahamas while you try to pick up the pieces of your life.

Call me old school, but people today are just too gullible and lazy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #9 windsman, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Guys i couldn't agree anymore, my first post is for information purpose.
    Me i 'am totally old school, several piece of papers are somewhere in my home (no local storage and never in the cloud)"cloud i hate that":death:, all is in my mind so if you want them come on:D.

And never the same password and e-mail for different buyers, always pay with virtual number card, or pre-paid one or at least Bitcoin (buying hand to hand).

Paranoïa, yeah i know, but sometimes it's useful;)

windsman.

10. Dark Knight

Jul 14, 2013
    #10 Dark Knight, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    It just annoys me so much when I read crap like this :mad:

I know most are probably free users of LastPass but then there are paid users who WILL CONTINUE to pay for the service EVEN after this which in my mind is outright crazy.

Here is a thought for all you LastPass users or users of any password storage service for that matter:
    Even though the passwords were not breached last time or this time maybe they WILL be next time, or the time after, lets face it, it's not going to stop, at least not until they get what they are looking for. Are you willing to roll that dice and continue using the service KNOWING full well that there is better than a 50% chance that your personal information can and will be made available?

Nothing on the internet is impenetrable, given the time and effort even the worlds tightest secured servers and databases can be hacked.