latest build of windows 10 and x99s

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tlasher, Jul 6, 2015.

1. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    warranty-wise I only can recommend well known brands since no-names sometimes make themselves away when you need them. I like SSD performance and I only run this type of hardware since it is available but I do one thing: I back up data on external spinning drives because the reliability is higher then that on SSDs. This will change sometimes in the future ... just saying

2. matt_0978

matt_0978 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    There's no need to insult people's intelligence, we're all adults here (or are you?). I was pointing out that what most people consider normal is a mechanical/HDD harddrive, that doesn't infer that a SSD is abnormal. If you can't be helpful go troll somewhere else.

3. cbutters

cbutters MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    #23 cbutters, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    I hate to say it but this thread has become completely derailed. People are giving advice to try things that have already been tried. We have identified a problem with Windows 10 specifically in regards to m.2 ssds.
    Here are the facts we have discovered so far:

User m.2 SSD Model X99 Motherboard Works on Preivous OS? SATA SSD Works? Win10 Works? Issue Described w/ Windows 10
    tlasher Kingston Hyperx 256GB ASUS X99S deluxe yes yes suboptimally extremely slow install
    cbutters XP941 512GB MSI X99S SLI PLUS yes yes suboptimally slow install, choppy, temporary lockups
    hounsell Kingston Hyperx 256GB ASUS X99-Pro yes ? yes none
    Lets keep more data coming if at all possible. thanks luke for the suggestion of checking to make sure it installs under UEFI mode, I will double-check that next.

4. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    #24 luke, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    My specs asus rampage v extreme , samsung 840 pro 256gb in raid0 for windows , no problems with boot time or install time been running windows 10 since it went to insider builds and always clean installs. If you guus still get the problem when installing windows 10 on a normal ssd the problem maybe related to the controller being used on your boards.

5. cbutters

Oct 17, 2007
    Oh, I thought you were using a m.2 ssd, I removed your specs from the chart as this issue is cropping up with m.2 ssds running on the PCIe lanes only.

6. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Hmm, interesting. I'm on a Intel XEON hexa core, Rampage III Extreme, only 12GB DDR3, and also using Samsung 840 Pros in RAID0. Full round-trip upgrade install is only 13 minutes here, but I do have some issues, such as USB ports not being as friendly as I was hoping for...

7. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yeah upgrading windows doesn't take long at all, i mainly do clean installs after so i can make a ISO out of the downloaded image, USB problems its probably driver related try installing the newest Intel chipset drivers see if it helps.

I changed to Two SSDs from a M.2 drive so i could use my PCI-e lanes.

Have you guys tried updating your bios's?

8. cbutters

Oct 17, 2007
    Wanted to post back... on build 10240, I have no issues... I'm assuming some of the test / data collection that they've removed has improved the situation. Either way my M.2 ssd is blazing fast now under windows 10 RTM