Launch Metro Apps Directly from Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Mar 16, 2012.

1. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I tried that app recently, but it's not for me :) I don't like the Vista/7 menu as it's slower/requires more clicks and waits; I like the classic menu that was still in Vista but no more in 7. Classic Shell I find much better in that sense and it's skin-able also (many options and combinations) and provides the classic menu option. Also when I uninstalled StartIsBack it was buggy for me as most of the time I couldn't get Start Screen to work right anymore (like it messed something up after the install/uninstall).

Currently I'm not even using Classic Shell, but using Start Screen after customizing it a bit. Interesting info from noncentz there, I'm sure that will be helpful to many people.

2. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    This only works for desktop apps.
    "Modern UI" apps don't have the context menu "Open file location".

Correct.

Correct.

Why should I switch to Start Screen and perhaps need to scroll to show up the app and click on an app, when I just can do a double click on Desktop ?

And:
    • To double click on Desktop I only need my mouse.
    • For "press the WinKey" I need keyboard, then mouse for click on apps.

3. Bat Man

Bat Man MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2012
    Awesome share by the way...am searching for that:worthy:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    That's very true :) Looks like they want to limit the access method to Store apps to the Start Screen and its (live) tile interface.

6. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    Hehe, people with a hundred desktop shortcuts should actually love the Start Screen because it lets you scroll through the menu with your mouse wheel, thus eliminating a lot of movement of your hand.

I would say this: the Start Screen needs more customization options. For example, one needs to be able to change the name of the tile/shortcut. One needs to be able to change the icon of the tile/shortcut. As it is now, you'd have to change the name and/or icon of the *actual* shortcut (desktop apps) for that to even be possible. I could see a future for Start Screen but it just needs more flexibility and options. It works quite well as it is, but it can be much better.

***Oops, sorry moderators, I thought I edited my above post, but instead I made a new post :eek:***