Leak: WINDOWS 8.1 RT RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by filbi, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Osprey00

Osprey00 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2013
    #81 Osprey00, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    It seems that all that you need is DigitalProductId. I just tested it. Do this: take your unmodified .reg file and, instead of renaming DigitalProductId to DigitalProductIdRT (I assume that that's what you meant, not DefaultProductKey), simply rename CurrentVersion to CurrentVersion2. While you still have it open, copy the key name ("HKEY_LOCAL... CurrentVersion2"... don't include the brackets) to the clipboard. Save and import the .reg file. Then, in WinTK, paste that key from your clipboard into the field and click on Decrypt. That ought to be your key. After you write it down, you can delete the CurrentVersion2 key from your registry.

I think that what you may've been doing before is trying to activate RT with your desktop/laptop key, since WinTK looks for the DigitalProductId value (which, in CurrentVersion, is your desktop/laptop key) and doesn't know or care that you have a DigitalProductIdRT value there, too. By creating the value as DigitalProductId under CurrentVersion2, however, WinTK can find what you want it to find.

2. totelli

totelli MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2007
    Hi Guys,

i installed 9600 on my Surface RT, everythings works fine, but when i install german lp, the apps in Metro are all in english, why?

Can anybody help me...

3. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Delete and Reinstall them from the Store ;)

4. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. totelli

totelli MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2007
    I have delete all Apps and Reinstall them, but they came with old Interface.

6. rruffman

rruffman MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2012
    #86 rruffman, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Thanks.. Got the right key now however when I try to activate it tells me that I cant use the default product key to activate windows. anyone else having this issue?

7. LightningXCE

LightningXCE MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2012
    Restating this. It scared the crap out of me when I did it to mine, but everything worked out nicely.

8. Osprey00

Osprey00 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2013
    #88 Osprey00, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    [EDIT: Never mind. See derausgewanderte's reply below, since I think that he identified what you did wrong]

Are you sure that you're putting in the same key that you got from WinTK? I think that "default product key" means the general installation key that you use to install Windows, but which can't be used to activate (hence the need to decrypt your personal key before you attempt installation). Check if the key starts with "NK" or "M9". If it does, then that's the general installation key, not your personal key that you need.

You didn't export your DigitalProductId value after installing 8.1, did you? If you did, that would probably explain why the key that you have is the general installation key. You need to have exported DigitalProductId while you still had 8.0 running. I hope that you did that, especially since you're having trouble going back to 8.0.

If you're sure that you did that and that you correctly followed my earlier instructions, download The Ultimate PID Checker (google it) and put in the key that you're trying to activate with. It ought to say that it's valid and that it's for NT 6.2/Win 8 and "CoreARM OEM: DM". If it tells you something else (or errors out), then maybe that'll be a clue as to what the problem is.

9. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #89 derausgewanderte, Sep 12, 2013
    the correct RT ID is installed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

NOT in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey
    the default key branch has the default retail key for installation. If you just google the key you found in DefaultProductKey you will find it's out there plenty....

just did this yesterday for somebody else who couldn't activate and we then found out he extracted the DigitalProductID from the DefaultProductKey branch. If you have 8.1 already installed I am afraid the only way to get your key is to go back to 8.0 and extract the correct key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    if you use Pidgen to check the key you found it will read Win 8 RTM CoreARM Retail instead of Win 8 RTM CoreARM OEM : DM. Only the latter will allow you to activate. The key you found likely ends in XX8W9-3RPT8 (the 8.0 default key is different from 8.1)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. rruffman

rruffman MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2012
    ahh there in lies my problem I have the win 8.1 consumer preview installed I called myself backing up my original win 8.0 install awhile back when I deleted the recovery drive but when I went to go to reinstall it said it was missing some files.. I then went to a friend and did a recovery disk of their surface rt which also has the win 8.1 consumer preview on it but somehow it gave me a copy of their win 8.1 install.. is there a way to get the win 8 install that should still be on their recovery partition? or can I get the product key of mine with win 8.1 consumer preview on it? or is their a win 8.0 image for surface rt on these forms? any help would be great..

11. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #91 derausgewanderte, Sep 12, 2013
  12. Osprey00

Osprey00 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2013
    #92 Osprey00, Sep 12, 2013
    Ah, so that's what he did. I didn't realize that there's a DefaultProductKey key under CurrentVersion. I thought that he was referring to the DigitalProductId value and simply was confused about the name.

rruffman, if you really can't manage to recover your 8.0 installation, try this: see if you can locate the Windows\System32\Config\SOFTWARE file (SOFTWARE is a file, not a folder; it simply has no extension) in your 8.0 recovery image, copy it to another Windows computer, run Regedit, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, choose "Load Hive" from the File menu, select that SOFTWARE file, browse the loaded hive and export the correct key (CurrentVersion) this time.

13. rruffman

rruffman MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2012
    Hi Thanks for all your help I don't have the partial backup anymore currently downloading one from xda hope this solves the issue..

14. Osprey00

Osprey00 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2013
    I don't see what good that'll do. It may give you a working 8.0 again, but it likely won't be activated, which is the same situation that you're in now, just with 8.1. You need the unique key that came with your RT 8.0 installation in order to activate. Someone else isn't going to just give you a key to use or let you use theirs. I don't see how you're going to activate if your key is permanently lost.

15. fraglord

fraglord MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2013
    I can confirm this. German language can be selected but then there is an error saying that the language pack isn't available.

16. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #96 derausgewanderte, Sep 12, 2013
    I can switch to Deutsch in System Settings after installing the de-de language pack from Wzor's torrents. I did not check the metro apps though as I stick to english.
    Also, I read someplace that somebody said that you need to uninstall and reinstall apps from the store to get them in the proper language.

17. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Guys, I'm trying to create a fully localized Windows RT 8.1 image but Windows ADK does not include ARM LPs for WinPE... I guess there's no way to find them, right?

18. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    Did you load the ADK Add-ons leaked by WZ as well back then? MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.RT.8.1.ADK.KIT.WOA.RTM-WZT . This contain the ARM PE, the localized PE Packages and ARM deployment tools in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit .

19. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks! I totally forgot he leaked that as well!

20. aliennumberseven

aliennumberseven MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    #100 aliennumberseven, Sep 12, 2013
    Can I install Windows RT on Mac using Crossover v12.5 or Parallels 9?