Leak: WINDOWS 8.1 RT RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by filbi, Sep 8, 2013.

1. williamd

williamd MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2008
    #121 williamd, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    well I install 8.1 1 but theres no recovery drive to make a back up of 8.1 on usb drive . one of 2 things. I did something wrong or you have to start out with a recovery image to start with. I did make a recovery image of 8.0 and then removed it to recover the 3.5 gb of space. Ould someone check to see if they can make a recovery image on usb who also has and has not removed there recovery image. thanks

im thinking the way it works is if you have the 8.0 recovery image, it then up grades to 8.1 but if you don't have the recovery image on your hd then it does not upgrade or installs one. it must think you already have the original . but I would like the recovery of 8.1 so you don't have to restart from 8.0. Do you think Microsoft messed up here or did this on purpose?

2. williamd

williamd MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2008
    this is what I found so far . I also installed 8.1 on my laptop from widows 7 and I didn't get a recovery image either. so im guessing that you have to have the recovery image on the hd for windows 8.1 to update it.

I will be reinstalling m laptop to 8.0 and then installing 8.1 also I have my surface reinstalling 8.0 off my recovery usb and then I wil install 8.1 oer that to se if it includes the recovery image. let me know if anyone has any info on this.thanks

3. williamd

williamd MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2008
    so this is what I came to on the surface rt .
    restored to original 8.0 from usb recovery image . it installed my recovery image as it did in the past . then I installed 8.1 and bingo my 8.1 recovery image was there and I made a usb recovery of it . but this time im not deleting . one reason is I only have 6. gb used space on my hard drive. so that's it for the surface no im gog to do the same for my laptop. hope this helps others who were wondering why they couldn't make a usb backup . you have to have the recovery image from 8.0 on the surface to start with.

4. cmplieger

cmplieger MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    cannot sign in

Have installed it twice now but can't sign in to my Microsoft account... It just stays on "please wait" does anyone else have this problem?

I chose not to keep files and settings. Would it keep my MS account if I chose to keep settings?

5. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #125 derausgewanderte, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    It will keep your MS account. I did exactly that "do not keep files and settings" but had no issues signing into my MS account. Is it possible you have a problem with 2-step verification when signing in? Shouldn't be a problem, but god knows. Worst case you will be notified via text and or email that you have to create a temp password to use for logging in. I'd try to temporarily disable the 2-step verification if you have it on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you can only use RT software due to arm based architecture

7. nightmare99

nightmare99 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2011
    So what is the latest display driver version? I have installed the 8.1 RTM but I think I used the original drivers provided by wzor.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    The graphic driver is related to your machine. You need to use the one which the manufacturer provides for your graphic card

9. nightmare99

nightmare99 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2011
    Sorry my question was poorly worded and I didn't spare a thought for the other Windows RT devices besides the Surface.

Let me re-phrase, what is the latest NVidia Tegra graphics driver available for Windows RT 8.1 for the Surface RT?

10. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    for Surface, you should get appropriate driver from MS directly. Didn't know you own a Surface or overlooked it. They patch their devices like roiling out updates for the naked software

11. madhouse24

madhouse24 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2013
    ISO's RT 8.1 Correct Image??

Can anyone send/inbox me a good site for a reliable image? I've gotten about three iso's for DRIVERS FOR SURFACE RT ONLY___MICROSOFT WINDOWS RT 8 1 WITH OFFICE 2013 RT RTM WOA ENGLISH DVD-WZT and the sizes have not been 2.49 GB (2,679,341,056 bytes) which is the correct size and thus I get "installation failed" messages for the first three I've downloaded

12. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #132 Mikorist, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. bluc

bluc MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2011
    Anyway to install this on Asus vivo tab rt tf600?

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  15. bluc

bluc MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2011
    Ok thanks will give it a miss it only a couple days to go till release anyway cheers.

16. edgr.sanchez

edgr.sanchez MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Anyone else having issues with their Type Cover / Touch Cover drivers?

The keyboard on my Type Cover wasn't working, except for the Fn + Media Keys and the touch pad.

I tried reinstalling drivers, etc. But I ended up just going ahead and downloading the Recovery Image that Microsoft put up on their support page for people that were having issues updating to Windows 8.1 RT.

Now that I've reinstalled Windows 8.0 RT, the keyboard works fine. I'm in the process of updating to 8.1 RT from the Windows Store.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    S2 pro no issues. Just plug it on and it starts installing the driver. beautiful :D