Leave domain offline.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Rab, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #1 Rab, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    *Solved*

So lightning killed my server. Did a good job killing it too.
    Its fryed beyond repair.

However the client computers made it undammaged!
    So now i have five client computers (home domain project) that needs to be disjoined from the dead domain so I can join the new one once it finnished.
    Searching the net is giving verry vauge directions.

Any help in this mater woud be aprechiated.

/Rab.

Happy amateur who's in the deep end of the pool...

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Join workgroup, it will complaint that can not contact domain, but will do it anyway

sebus

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Sorry for your loss. If the hard drive(s) from the server are readable, I would suggest standing up a new server. Maybe you could boot the server hard drive in one of the clients and go from there.

If you want to unjoin the domain, make sure local account(s) exist on each of the client machines so you will still be able to logon to them.

Then, go to computer properties, click change settings next to the domain information then change it to workgroup and put in the workgroup name you want. Just click ok on the "enter name and password of an account with permission to leave the domain" box, as there's nothing for it to connect to it will go ahead and change the machine to workgroup. Reboot and you're done!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Sometimes the sollution to a problem is too easy to think of.
    Thank you guys. Tried this and it works. :worthy:

/Rab.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008

Come on, nobody died! And where was the backup?

6. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Still connected to the server when lightning struck. What can I say? It went BOOM! With the rest of the setup. :eek:
    I was in the middle of pulling the cables as it struck.

/Rab.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Well, it should be on a USB in the cupboard, shouldn't it?

8. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    ...unless in the midst of backing up, yes indeed. New copy is safely stored in the cupboard.

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    lol happy endings :D

10. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Electrical Storm

Not to worries, it got me in February 2007. I lost the Motorola DOCSIS modem y 4 computers plus Cisco Router in one go.
    Mail server, etc,etc. No one was home and since I have mail server it needs 24/7 to receive.
    Sadly I was working for a Swiss company that had protectors for Ethernet and RF but I had the product in the boot of my company car............as I was the sales manager..........................:D:D:D:D:D:D