legacy touchscreens and win 8 charms

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kevinlee.kssl, Apr 8, 2014.

1. kevinlee.kssl

kevinlee.kssl MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Hi I have a question to ask about activating win 8 charms from on the active area of the display lcd and not from sliding in from off the display. I have some perfectly good touchscreens designed around IR frames. This means they have a bezel and as such I cannot get to swipe in from out side the active area to activate the charms. When win 8 was announced there was talk about support for legacy touchscreens (i.e. anything not a Pcap) to have a 20 pixel zone along the right hand side to allow them to still work. This however seems to have been dropped before win 8 came out and so I stopped looking.
    However, I how have a fujitsu Lifebook laptop with a Wacom digitizer and touchscreen. This is fitted into a plastic frame which only allows the active area to be displayed. It has a lip around the edge (it is small but none the less it is there). The win 8 drivers for this are loaded and the charms work fine when swiped in the active area near the right hand edge. So Wacom have found a way to do this. When I connect on of my IR frames to this laptop, the same thing works for them. This leads me to the conclusion that Wacom have found some form of registry entry that will allow this to happen. However as the Wacom drivers wont install on computers without its hardware (quite reasonably) it is not of use to my other win 8 pc's.
    Now I don't know if this has ever been discussed on this site in the past but does anyone know how I can find out how this has been archived so that I can modify my other win 8 pcs to work with these touch frames? I did write to Wacom and ask but not surprisingly I did not hear back....
    Any clues for you guys?