Lenovo G500 laptop randomly hangs at logo/splash screen!!!!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ALFAMALE56, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ALFAMALE56

ALFAMALE56 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    i swapped HD today with clean install of windows 7, tried different memory module also........ worked for awhile and then hung up again:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #22 lobo11, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

Bring up ADMIN Cmd prompt, type chkdsk /r /f , and press enter on your keyboard, then a
    Y, then reboot, it now checks your disk for errors and fixes them.:D

I hate you are having to do all these things, you have to find a full diagnostics test somewhere.

Also could be bad or going bad power cable going to your Hard Drive, works sometimes, sometimes not.:D

If you take diagnostic tests and it's the motherboard if it is still under warranty, send it back for replacement, good luck.

Have you gone into BIOS to make sure boot order is correct.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It also could be the Memory Module('s)!

I would do the following:
    1. if 2 Memory Modules exist, take out one and test-run with just 1 module
    2. if that still produced same problem, remove exchange the Module and test-run again
    3. remove both Modules, and use a soft Pencil Rubber for to clean the connector feet of each module
    4. place 1 in and test-run again
    5. do the same for the next module
    6. have both back in and run

You could try some Memory Test Apps, just, if you do, keep in mind, that those apps never be correct, they could still show all Ok, and it's just bogus!

Also, a re-burn and/or update of the BIOS Software, may helps.

As you already swapped the HDD and those problem persist, I do believe that those problem will mainly be Mainboard (and/or some of it's components) related. If there still Warranty on that machine, I would contact nearest Service Station.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u guys... its DVD drive firmware likely.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would advise you check the processor if it is receiving proper cooling.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i agree sounds more like processor over heating or bad mother board.

7. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I hate to sound like a pessimistic S.O.B. (even though I am a pessimistic S.O.B.) but I think the OP is stuck with what they have. Why would I suggest such a thing? Because I did a Google search on this issue and there are a lot of Lenovo G500 owners posting in a lot of forums - all having the same problem. Can't be a co-incidence. (And don't get me wrong, some of my favorite laptops over the years have been Thinkpad/Lenovo - a great majority of their products are top tier). But in my opinion, the G500 was released without being fully tested. Or they did test it, saw the problem and convinced themselves it could fixed after the fact.

They can't all be winners. And I am amazed at the countless models of laptops that Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. release every year.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    likely its the power management in DSDT for Win 8.
    try this.. install linux with grub2 and use that bootmenu.. might have to play with acpi loading codes (cheatcodes)

9. ALFAMALE56

ALFAMALE56 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    I removed the DVD drive and it does not hang.... reconnect DVD and it hangs.... problem solved:clap:...... i am switching to an external DVD anyways .........Old school technique> (thx latin MCG)< :rolleyes:that i had forgotten......duh

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Then look for the firmware update online instead of decommissioning it altogether. Perhaps LatinMcG can help with the right one for your system model.