Lenovo G700 UEFI...Windows 7 OEM/SLIC 2.1 Activation????

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by discgolfdc, Apr 8, 2014.

1. discgolfdc

discgolfdc MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Hi, all...

I have a Lenovo G700 which came with Windows 8 pre-installed. My first act upon unboxing was to access the EFI/BIOS and set everything to Legacy/no secure boot/optimized for other OS, etc. My second act was removing the HDD that came with it.

I have installed Win7Ultimate on this machine using another HDD. I have been attempting to move toward OEM/SLIC activation of the OS. Since Lenovo does not provide a flashable BIOS file, I performed a BIOS backup using Universal BIOS Backup tool. With the resultant file, I (seem to) have managed to successfully impregnate it with a SLIC 2.1 table. I haven't found a way to shoot this modified BIOS backup back to where it came from, and have been unsuccessful in gaining any insight into that. That's one thing I'm hoping to learn here, if anyone has experience with that.

I also used the Lenovo G500 Marker tool, and the status message after using the /CLRMARK and /SETMARK commands with the .bin file included indicated that it had completed successfully. A look at SLIC, however, afterwards, using the SLIC Toolkit, seems to reveal what looks like an empty SLIC (FF FF FF FF FF.....).

Is there/has anyone found a way to make something like this work? I can provide the BIOS backup, RWE ACPIs, etc., if it is helpful -- unfortunately, since my post count isn't as gargantuan as the number 20, I can't leave them here in the post. I just can't seem to find a way to either make the system recognize the marker that was allegedly successful in setting or insert the SLIC 2.1 table by modified BIOS.

I did perform slmgr /ipk and /ilc actions to see if Win7 would activate, but no dice. I've performed the slmgr.vbs actions plenty of times before, so I know what to look for there. Pretty basic.

I'm otherwise not as seasoned as most seem to be here. I'm not afraid to get into it, but I could use some help/direction.

Thanks in advance!