Lenovo ThinkPad X200: Best OS for this device?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by TNTS, Dec 26, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Is not that XP doesn't need maintenance, you can't maintain it because the lack of updates.

You can have the same effect disabling W/U on W7/8/10.

If your point is tho have a small footprint OS, just use Thin PC which is W7 based while being way smaller and lighter.

If instead you like the XP experience just use Posready 2009 (an XP version which is supported until 2019).

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Manufactured in Lenovo's Company, in China Mainland!! The old IBM Thinkpad Company were taken over by Lenovo quite some years ago and production (and Quality) control has changed within that past time quite a bit too!

Simply: Thinkpad isn't IBM anymore, it's just a Lenovo machine!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TNTS

TNTS MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2013
    Gave it a shot with the Simplix update pack and it worked! Only had to install 20 updates more and then I was done... looks like WU has been awful in all Windows 7 computers based from the dates in the forums I looked at.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #24 T-S, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Don't write silly things.

All (IBM) thinkpads were manufactured by Lenovo. That's why IBM choose to sell the business to them. They just changed the logo on the machines. And in many areas they improved further the quality of Thinkpad machines.

Made in China (and made by Lenovo) means nothing by itself. Lenovo builds cheap things (especially phones for the internal market) average things (Lenovo branded computers) and Top quality things (IBM small servers, Thinkpads and Motorola phones).

5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The original Thinkpad's were manufactured NOT by Lenovo!! But, if you claim it were so, so it be!! Just wonder why my old "Butterfly" Thinkpad were Made in USA and not by Lenovo?! And that were a lot of years ago!

Er....?! Never mind, be it as YOU tell!

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The world is not black or white. Yes some earlier Thinkpads were built in USA. Just like some of them are actually built in North Carolina or in Japan (by NEC).

Still the built place has nothing to do with the build quality. Ferraris and (many) Fiats are both built in Italy.

Fiat are popular cars and their quality is just average, Ferrari is a top brand and the quality is top level, while the country is still the same and the parent company too. That works for Italy, China, US and and most developed countries.

The world is analog, keep it in mind.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had win 7 sp1 x64 update issues on fresh install recently..hmmmm
    i did gatherosstate.exe and got genuineticket.xml.
    did win 10 fresh usb setup and all done.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That was happens for me too! Reinstalled Windows 7 from an image I done 3 month earlier, updated fully again and all done fine, works with no problems.

Maybe some of those updates wasn't Ok, because the problems were starting after updating. Even deleting those updates were not solving the problems. Still was need Windows 7 on that computer, for to run some older Apps, which are not working in either 8/8.1 and 10! There fore I decided not to have that that machine connected to Windows Update further on and blocked all the known MS Sites.