Lenovo Windows 7 --->Enhanced Experience<--- Ultimate Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cronas, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    #21 Jvelo7892, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #22 Myrrh, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Alright, Got my recovery disks in today. There are 3 of them. The OS is Windows Vista Business SP 1 32bit. Not windows 7, but it's the best I can do. I've made some ISO's of the cd's and if anyone needs them, PM me. Read my other post in this thread for models supported.

4. jimsonfreak

jimsonfreak MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi,

Like I said back then, what I had (and still have) are Recovery DVD's for Windows 7, but not Rescue&Recovery WIM image(s) for a particular machine model & type. To recap:
    • Recovery DVD: Normal Windows 7 Setup disk, with additional branding by Lenovo. Will install a clean Windows 7 system, along with additional themes/wallpapers, Lenovo bookmarks, Lenovo-branded login screen, etc. Files are copied to the system partition at installation using structures similar to what it used to be for Windows XP ("$oem$" & "$$"), and an XML file is used to specify the product key and other sysprep/unattended parameters.
    • Rescue&Recovery: WIM image and associated boot facilities on a separate partition, provided when the system is shipped. Can be used to restore Windows 7 with drivers, softwares, tweaks, etc., as it was when the system was imaged before it left the factory (or from an identical system, i.e. same hardware profile). This image is created by first installing Windows 7, then third-party drivers and utilities, and optionally software and system tweaks, and then imaging the system with sysprep from Windows OPK/AIK. Think of it as a "Symantec Ghost"-type of disk image, but file-based instead of cluster-based. THIS IS what someone should be looking for to have the "Enhanced Experience", as it contains the tweaks Lenovo makes to provide such "Enhanced Experience".

I didn't actually find those Recovery DVD's, I made them myself from the files and knowledge I gained by looking at an actual Recovery DVD that supposedly/probably shipped with a Chinese system (an Ideapad, I think) and was then posted on the Internet.

When I bought it, my ThinkPad T400 got shipped with Vista Business (x64), and back when Windows 7 was announced I was eligible and applied for the program to have a free upgrade to Windows 7 (with the COA and all). I eventually received it (but only after a long while, like most people), but never got around to reinstall Windows 7 (and I didn't want to do an in-place upgrade). But just before the end of 2010, my Windows Vista had gotten unusable (corrupt network drivers stack which prevented new network drivers to bind and install successfully) to the point where I decided to start afresh and install Windows 7. I didn't want to use the OEM (non-SLP) key provided with the COA and I already had my BIOS modified (back when I had Vista), so I used the Recovery DVD I had made (which contain an OEM:SLP product key and the certificate for my Lenovo Bios) to install Windows 7 Professional.

5. kreshoo

kreshoo MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    I would like to have those CDs, so i cant PM you pec im new member :D so im sending you messadge like this. Me and my T500 are grathefull to you :)

6. redhook

redhook MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    #26 redhook, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    ThinkPads do not come with any bloatware on them. I know that when you run system update to install the Lenovo drivers on a ThinkPad you get something like 90% of the EE stuff. The little bit you do not get are just OS tweaks. If you look on the support page you'll see lots of drivers what have 'Enhanced' in their name, these are the main EE components. The videos explaining EE even tell you this. So you really are not missing out on much, especially if you slap an SSD in the machine.

EDIT: Do a search for 'Lenovo Windows 7 Enhanced Experience - Part 1' on YouTube and you will see the explanation, watch all the parts. I have also noticed that ThinkVantage System Update has a bunch of MS KB updates listed in it, I'm pretty sure those contain the Windows 7 tweaks.

7. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Anyone got any Restore or Recovery CD or DVD with Windows 7 x 64 and/ or 32 bit from their Lenovo shipment or Burnt from their Lenovo Thinkpad?

8. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I am trying to figure out how to install finish installing Windows on my U350 64 bit after Lenovo did a number on me. They sent me a Recovery DVD and it has Windows on it but it would not boot from it nor will my computer recognize it as being tied to my computer. And of course I waited until my computer was out of warranty before I needed the Disc. When I called to complain, they wanted $59.00 to "help" me by sending me the correct Disc(s) that they were supposed to have sent me in the FIRST place.

So now I have a Windows installed and I'm trying to figure out how to either change the bios configuration (I already updated the bios) or downgrading the Ultimate to the Home Version and using my original CD key and modifying that somehow. It's all too much for me - which is why I've been over here 2 days searching for answers and I've only had 2 posts to my name so far and I look like a complete n00b. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to throw them my way.

9. rocky4you

rocky4you MDL Novice

May 23, 2007
    If your computer came preinstalled with windows 7 - any version viz home basic/premium/pro/ultimate - it has slic 2.1 in its bios.
    Just install lenovo certificate & ultimate key to activate.
    Use Windows Loader by Daz at MDL to install cert/key.

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    To get the cd to boot you have to press F11 at least how it worked in the past. If you have trouble getting into F11(recovery partition) go to lenovo site to get instruction on how to reset. Post back with any progress.