Lenovo X201 Tablet issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by geordienewt, May 28, 2021.

1. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    Lenovo X201 Tablet has just started giving me issues.
    A couple of weeks ago I found that the machine would not power up when in normal Laptop mode but was quite happy powering up when in swivel screen Tablet mode.
    Now when I am in Windows itself, I can then swivel the screen back to Laptop mode and it functions perfectly. I can even restart from within Windows and the machine will restart as normal in Laptop mode.
    However if I turn off the machine completely and then try to power up, I am back to square one. It just refuses to power up unless I swivel the screen to Tablet mode.
    Has anyone out there come across this strange behavior before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Have to tried to recycle the power if not try this.

The quick fix when your Lenovo laptop is not turning on is to unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery if possible. Next, hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Then, plug in the A/C adapter and boot the machine. And finally, re-install the battery.

3. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    Thanks for the reply WindowsGeek, but I've tried that already and it makes no difference. As I stated earlier it's quite happy starting up but only if it's in Tablet mode.
    I've tried removing the Cmos Battery today, I've flashed to the latest Bios but still no joy.
    Next step is a total strip down to see if I can spot anything.
    Anyone else got any experience with Lenovo X Series Tablets who can shed any light on this.

4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Before you take it apart try installing windows again do a clean install maybe is some issue with the OS, if you try that already it could be HW related x201 is very old machine. good luck

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i assume your running windows 10....make sure when you try to start the machine is desktop mode go into the settings and change it from tablet mode back to desktop mode in does older lenovos the HW doesnt swap from tablet to desktop automatic you must do it manually....make sure your settings are like this...hope this helps.

upload_2021-5-31_15-20-26.png

6. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    Thanks to both of you for the replies.
    MS_User the X201T is, or should I say was running quite happily on Win7 Pro and as far as I'm aware I do not have these options available in Win7.
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in the original post, so let me try again.
    From cold the X201T will not startup correctly in normal Thinkpad mode. When the power button is pressed, the lights flash up as normal but there is no video signal at all to the screen.
    From cold when the screen has been swivelled to Tablet mode and the power button pressed the X201T quite happily boots into Windows. Once in Windows I can then swivel the screen back to Thinkpad mode and theX201T works perfectly normally. I can restart and the X201T will happily reboot in this mode.

Thanks again for any suggestions you may have.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    try re-installing windows 7 again mite be a issue with the OS...in my opinion i think win10 would run better in a machine like that sense is a touch screen.

8. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    Thanks for the reply MS_User.
    I've got to start up with the screen turned to Tablet mode and then quickly turn it back before I can get any video signal to the screen in normal Thinkpad mode.
    Once I've done this I've then put a clean installation of Windows onto a different hard drive. Result is exactly the same as before, the X201T will happily start in Tablet mode BUT if I try to start it up from cold in Thinkpad mode there is no video signal to the screen.
    I've tried since connected the X201T to an external monitor and guess what, I get a normal video signal to the external monitor in Thinkpad mode. I'm now more convinced than ever that this is a hardware issue, and my next step is a total strip down.
    Thanks again.

9. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    Many thanks for the reply WindowsGeek and for the disassembly link.
    As to your point about the swivel mechanism being loose, the answer is no. It feels absolutely fine, definitely no excess play or looseness but that's not to say I won't find a nipped cable when I open her up.
    Thanks again

10. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
  11. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    Thanks again for the reply WindowsGeek.
    I've stripped down the X210T and on first glance there didn't appear to be any damage to the cables running from the display through the swivel and to the Thinkpad itself. When I removed the Screen bezel, one of the wires in the cable harness does look a bit iffy so that may well be the problem. I'll have a look on eBay later and see if I can source the cable harness.
    Thanks again I'll let you know how I get on.

12. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    OK latest update.
    I managed to get the Video display cable on eBay at a very cheap price. Fitted it this morning and I'm happy to say my old X201 Tablet is up and working fine.
    Thanks again to MS_User and WindowsGeek for taking the time to reply to my original post.