Linux and kids, kids and Linux...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gorski, Nov 20, 2017.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's clearly stated above. Try. On the other hand, if you're stuck with your prejudices or pre-set stance - there's not gonna be any movement, sadly...

You shouldn't jump to conclusions, just because you know about Linux, m8. My elder son is autistic. Things are not straight forward with him. Anything can count against something "new". And Windows was the first thing he was exposed to on such a machine. He does not react well to change. Therefore, I need something that will work on his HW and be interesting, child friendly etc. ZorinOS just turned out not to be "it", for many reasons, for instance... And it is not as "old" as most other kid-oriented distros are...

Please, with all due respect, don't patronise me. Thanx!

I really do appreciate you spending time and trying to help but...

My son is already making and editing videos with various apps, not to mention at the age of 7 he has a few years of experience with XBMC/Kodi and whatnot...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: So he's ready for his own Linux box. Why not build him one?

That'd be a great Father / Son project. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Heh, he has a PC with Win7/ZorinOS at the moment.

But Zorin is failing him at every turn and I don't want this to have an impact on Linux as such.

I am trying to find a Linux distro which looks the part and is fully functional, at least when it comes to educational and AV SW...

I want him to get into Linux OS with eyes wide open, excited and ready to learn and enjoy, have fun - but at the moment, that is anything but, sadly...

I guess what smallhagrid said must be done:

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #25 gorski, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    (OP)
    It seems like a very cool find, something new and pretty much what I was hoping to find!

Cheers, m8! :)

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #26 gorski, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    (OP)
    Sadly, I can only see a primitive installer, without all the necessary options for installation etc.

I made a USB stick and all - but no go... Have you tried it? No option to install directly onto a hard drive from the USB stick I made, it wants to download it onto the USB stick or shove on my C drive, doesn't have the advanced options for partitioning and so on...

Weird!

EDIT

Btw, Universal USB Installer tried (twice) and now I'll try uNetBootin...

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Ooopppss...

"Endless Solutions enables businesses and governments to deliver their critical apps on a platform optimized for areas with little or no internet, collect metrics, and reach computing price points rarely seen before."

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #30 R29k, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  11. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: actually i think pacman is great for kids. the greatest mistake in the pc world is this emphasis on graphics. no matter how many frames per second you cram into it, if the game is crap it stays crap. and this 66 yo kid saw my then 3 yo kid have a lot of fun with pacman. dont bother them with linux until they can at least read and write, i say. and then even windows is a whole lot better, imho.sudo apt get?? forget it. you will want to be able to explain where tf are their warez on that machine..and linux is a nono in that respect, no drive letters..

12. Rafe

Rafe MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2015
    Pacman is a cool game. It follows a pattern. Have you seen TRON 1982, when Kevin Flynn/CLU and Alan Bradley/TRON moves outside the grid? The original game stops and takes a new turn. Chess is similar. A new pattern, a new thinking. Your brain is engaged on a new level. You learn by thinking, not thinking by learning. My 2 cents..

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    R2D2, anyone can see where to DL the files from but...

The EndlessOS installer is rubbish...

The Ubuntu one is seriously handicapped by their "intervention"...

I have installed zillions of those, I know how to do it and how it should function. This isn't it!

I have said I have made the USB stick with the installer (full ISO) etc. Ergo, I don't understand what you understood from my message...

Read the link I posted and see just how much trouble there is with it...

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    @gorski , if you think that installer is difficult then I would pay to watch you install Arch :eek:

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I stick with Ubuntu and decent derivatives... :)

Why don't you read the link I posted and solve all those problems?

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I'll install it on some hardware and have a look, seems the issues are with the install and not on the live mode.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    OK, but here is THE obstacle/hurdle, I wanna put in your path... :D

Do NOT allow yourself - having downloaded (all 14.4GB of) it already and made a USB stick with it once - to have to download it yet again...

One of the "bugs" mentioned in that link I posted is that one and how to circumvent it... but it's pretty ridiculous, you know... Ubuntu never had something like this (Live version included) and while innovation for lay users is cool, messing it up like that and yet publishing it - makes me very suspicious and unwilling to waste ever more time on it, I must admit.... :(

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx!!!

However, this is about LinuxOS specifically made for kids, with an accent on education/learning...

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012