Linux freezes if second SSD is connected

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Deleted member 222776, Jul 2, 2018.

Hello,

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my computer. I have two SSDs Samsung 850 and Samsung 860. Each of them contain a linux OS (Arch and OpenSuse). Whenever I want to boot one I just go in the BIOS and choose which drive to boot.
    After the OS fully loads it freezes and I can't do anything until i shut the machine down. Now, if I disconnect the other SSD the OS works OK. I don't see why it would do this. This also happens vice-versa.

What could be causing this?
    Thanks

1. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I’d hot plug (eg with SATA to USB adapter, or if your mobo supports hotplug SATA...) the second drive after the first one finished booting and check the logs... syslog and dmesg output (something like dmesg | tail -100) just to see what happens.

Also when it “freezes” try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you can go back to text mode and get out of the GUI, which is probably what froze. You can then use the text mode as a terminal to poke around and check out logs, etc, to try and see what happened when the second drive is connected.