Linux Gurus which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hoppyah, Sep 15, 2017.

1. I actually tried OpenSuse and love it so far. That KDE plasma look terrific.
    I assume that drivers must be installed via their packaging system, correct? Meaning I cannot take an nvidia driver for linux from nvidia.com and just install it like in windows?

2. And when updating the OS (kernel and software) should I need to be worried about the installed drivers (that they may break and stop running)?

3. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

It's not like Windows updates, if your distro is working and not outdated, then leave it alone, there is no reason to update your kernel or distro version.

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    If done using the package manager, you should have nothing to worry about. I personally, keep my copy up to date, always, and never once have I faced an issue. openSUSE is very stable. I would suggest you use LEAP (not Tumbleweed) if you seek the best stability (Tumbleweed is their rolling distro and although I find that also stable, there is still the risk).
    Speaking personally, I generally think this is bad advice since I believe all software, regardless of operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, BSD, etc..) should be kept up to date whenever possible.

5. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I think you should always update your system via your distros package manager. I believe all distros continuously update most packages. If you skip updates for a long time and then update, breakages could definitely happen. As far as drivers go... when the distro updates, the driver that is affected will update too. I've run Arch Linux for a few years and only had one break. My gaming computer has Arch installed with gtx970 with Nvidia drivers and is updated every time I use it. No issues.

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Only problem with Arch/Manjaro is that you can not install these distros on any model computers that require UEFI secure boot. ON some systems you can turn on legacy BIOS/MBR mode, but more and more new models won't allow you to do that.
    Ubuntu, on the other hand, has been working great on 4 out of 5 of my PC systems.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep Ubuntu always rocks:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I am reading a lot of hate for Arch Linux from you and that's fine if you dislike Arch Linux. Linux, after all, is about choice. For example, I personally dislike Linux Mint as I often am asked to fix people's computers who try to use it, plus the sheer amount of issues I read about it all the time. As much as I dislike Linux Mint, my opinion does not change the fact that some people still very much enjoy using it (despite its issues).

But please do not attempt to pass off your opinion as fact. You have 3 people on here telling you that Arch Linux does work with secure booting. I am sorry it did not work for you or perhaps it was not as fun to set up, but the fact remains it can be done. Again, I may share my opinion concerning Linux Mint, but I never intentionally state my opinion to be fact and I do not believe you should be doing so concerning, Arch Linux either.

Misinformation is never helpful.