Linux Gurus which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hoppyah, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    @oliverjia , @GOD666

So much passion... is good to see ( but keep it tech relevant, no personal attacks please.. we don't wanna become like those @ Windows 10 where ppl are attacking each other for no real reason.... right?)

now you 2 get a room...I bet you'll have spanking good time...:tooth:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :doofywave:

:rofl:

3. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Here is finally an answer from the author of Arch Anywhere (now Anarchy Linux). Secure boot is not a current feature, and he encouraged me to request this feature on his Github page. I wonder how you, and 3 other folks as you claimed, managed to install Arch in a secure boot, other than in your imagination or lie.
    Screenshot from 2017-10-30 05-12-02.png

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #84 GOD666, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Your attachment proves nothing since it is an "automated reply" where he is simply telling you and everyone who sends them an e-mail to take it up on GitHub since he has a life :rolleyes: (and clearly you do not :rofl: ). As it is an automated response and it neither confirms or denies anything. ;) --- You are again using misinformation and in this case hoping folks will not actually read your screenshot. :rolleyes:

You really do need to accept the fact that you are wrong. Or as a troll, you need to accept the fact that your troll has clearly failed and backfired. -- The amount of evidence (documentation, people, etc...) against you cannot sustain your argument any longer without further making yourself lose face (assuming you have any left). But I suspect, you will come up with yet another useless reply since you seem to be an individual who feels "big" having the last word. :rolleyes: So go ahead, post your reply, I digress, since this conversation can no longer serve any further purpose. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    LOL. I have never seen such a shameless reply for any Internet trolls. You are the best troll I have ever seen in decades. Congratulations.

I do admire your ability of being even having a face to reply when the author himself slapped your face so hard. I specifically asked him about the possibility of installing Arch in secure boot using Arch Anywhere, and you obviously know better than the author himself. Genius.

I'm now done with you. People will have clear idea now who's the troll.

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  7. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Could you and oliverjia please stop spamming off topic stuff into this thread. You could use the board mail system instead to insult each other, thank you very much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #88 GOD666, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Fair enough. :) It originally was sort of on topic... ie... Arch Linux is one of the distros of choice (which is able to securely boot). My original goal was to educate him that Arch could indeed do so (boot securely), but he became very adamant that such was impossible, even despite the documentation and living witnesses to the experience. From there it sort of took a life of its own when he resorted to misinformation and I, sort of rolled with it from there as originally there was some humor to it, but clearly, that has been outlived.

9. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    The whole secure boot stuff has NOTHING to do with the original thread.

10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :p Such is life on a discussion forum. -- One topic ends up incorporating another. When you have a group of people talking about what they like and why (in this case, which Linux distro folks settle on), you are bound to get other folks who will step in and cross comment their likes and dislikes. ;)

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    A whole thread derailed because they were measuring their things, they could have done their measuring in pm's!

12. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    This is a public forum, and the topic is about which Linux distro people wants to use, why and why not. This whole thread will be pointless if one just said "I use Debian", and the other said "I use Fedora because I don't like Debian". The reason why this thread exists is that people want to know WHY you chose a particular distro and not the others.
    My posts are about a particular Linux distro and the reason why I don't use Arch. Although the degree of stupidity of some fanboys is beyond me, my posts still give a good reason WHY I did not use it on my computers.
    What did you Internet police contribute to this thread, other than trying to force your own bare opinion upon other people? Have nothing to do the original thread? It's unfortunately only your opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. That's the reason why this forum exists.

13. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Well, at least we can agree on this. :)

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ oliverjia @ GOD666 :D:hug2::clap:

15. Amateur_Linux User

Amateur_Linux User MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Okay, So I have never used any operating system except for Windows but after reading so much appreciation from Linux user about its usefulness, I am motivated to try and learn a few myself. I have downloaded Ubuntu, Mint and Kali.

Q1: I wanted to know if I can install 64 bit version of Ubuntu and other linux operating systems alongside 32 bit Windows 10 operating system? Or should I install 64 bit Windows 10 and then install Ubuntu?

Q2: I would also like to ask if there is a specific order in which I should install all ( Windows 10, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Kali Linux) of these operating system? Can I install in any order? Thanks.

16. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #96 John Sutherland, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Hello @ Amateur_Linux_User - Question: Have you already tried downloading either a 32 bit or 64 bit Linux .iso, creating a bootable USB flash drive, and actually tried booting the machine into a live CD session? I'm asking because a 32 bit version of Linux will boot on either a 32 bit or 64 bit system, but a 64 bit version of Linux will only boot on a 64 bit machine - it will fail to boot on 32 bit hardware.

Answer to Q1: Basically, you would install a 32 bit version of Linux on a machine that has a 32 bit processor and uses MBR boot. You would install a 64 bit version of Linux on a machine that has a 64 bit processor and uses either MBR or UEFI boot. Be aware that the 32 bit version of Ubuntu only supports MBR boot and does not support UEFI boot, only the 64 bit version supports both. To be safe, if your machine originally came with a 32 bit version of Windows 10 installed by the OEM, then it's probably because it uses MBR boot, and in that case you should install a 32 bit version of Linux as well.

I think what would help here is if you can provide more information about the machine you're using, like the manufacturer and the specific model number.

Important note: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS is the last version of Ubuntu that still offers a choice between 32 and 64 bit. Starting with Ubuntu 17.10, only a 64 bit .iso is available for desktop users. I imagine that this change will affect future versions of Linux Mint and Kali Linux as well, since both are based on Ubuntu.

Answer to Q2: Definitely install Windows first, shrink the Windows C:\ system partition to create the necessary disk space, then install Linux. If you try to do it the other way around, you will create a real problem for yourself. I won't go into details, just trust me on this.

17. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @Amateur_Linux User - With just 2GB of system memory, I would recommend using a 32 bit version of Linux, especially since you have already have a 32 bit version of Windows 10 installed. You won't find any real advantage in using a 64 bit OS unless you have more than 4GB of system memory installed. I imagine the machine originally shipped with Windows XP, Vista, or maybe even Windows 7. In any case, it uses MBR boot.

18. Amateur_Linux User

Amateur_Linux User MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    If I add 2GB more to make 4GB, then?
    I am unable to install some of the new softwares or updates that seem to install on 64 bit OS only like some of Adobe products or Camtasia 9, VMware etc. That's why I thought getting a 64 bit OS.

19. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    OK, now I understand. You're considering installing Windows 10 64 bit in order to be able to install applications that are 64 bit only and not available in 32 bit. In that case, get Windows 10 installed and sorted out first, then download and install a 64 bit version of Linux. If you're considering using VMware, having 2 GB of system memory isn't going to cut it, you should really upgrade your memory to 4GB.