Linux is better than Windows 10.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by revoix, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #22 Skaendo, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Some of your statement rings true. I've made a nice bit of side money downgrading Windows 8+ Machines to Windows 7. And I suspect that will be true for Windows 10.

I suspect that the Windows 10 initiative is about more than we think. I believe that the tax write off from Windows 10 will fix a major woe for Microsoft; The IRS saying that they owe 1b$ in taxes. And I'm confident that MS Accountants are as crafty as MS lawyers. :)

MS pushed out? No. what will happen is they will be forced to change their market strategy, and ultimately their business model. Which may have been the plan all along. Kill a bn$ in tax debt, prepare the world for tablet based OSes, and make their board of directors (and investors) happy.

And businesses are difficult to motivate. Many smaller businesses (Law firms especially) are still running networks with Windows XP. Why? Because they have an enormous investment in applications that will not work, either well or at all, on 64 bit platforms. And they will not make the upgrade because the vertical applications that they use are no longer supported. Yes some have updated to Windows 7, but the development and retooling costs involved with some of these verticals is just too much for them.

Really? Well I'm not glad. I'd like to see Linux succeed and take the market by storm.

The up side is that because of Apple, more people are starting to see Linux as being a viable OS.

The down side is that commercial hardware makers may not support development under Linux. No drivers means no applications.

A unified front is what Linux is lacking. If Linux had this, those Windows vs Linux market numbers would be reversed.

:MJ

4. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #24 Skaendo, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    I think that there is more behind the scenes going on too, but I happen to think that they are more sinister than just some phony-baloney tax crap. Like why has Bill returned to work at MS?

Not everyone knows that good ol' Billy Gates sits on the board at MONSANTO. Or that he donates LARGE sums of money to PLANNED PARENTHOOD. Or that he owns quite a bit of MC DONALD'S. And he supports HITLARY CLINTON, who accepts money from PLANNED PARENTHOOD, MONSANTO, the PRIVATE PRISON INDUSTRY and COUNTRIES THAT SUPPORT ISIS.

But Linux has succeeded, and in just the right places, you said it yourself. The server market is dominated by Linux. Also the HPC community is dominated by Linux. Last that I checked, there was only 1 Windows computer of of the top 500 HPCs. Which reminds me that I need to go check some stats, crunch some numbers and update my sig. "The Year of Linux On The Desktop" will likely not happen. At least not for a long time. Hardware manufacturers for some reason don't like Linux. Even though they don't make any money off of drivers and driver updates.

5. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    I was watching the Tour de France a couple days ago, this guy won the entire thing and maybe only won 1 stage out of the 21 or so that are in the tour. The fight to win the individual stages is intense, they all want that day in the sun, everybody makes a big deal of it, you see the riders just kill themselves those last 100 meters to beat the guy next to them, really a beautiful thing in terms of sport (putting aside the doping that goes on). And yet, the winner of the whole thing is a guy that might not win any stage, but keeps putting time between him and the next guy, every state he adds a few more seconds, eventually becoming the clear winner even a couple stages before the tour even ends sometimes.

Seems to me Linux is the Tour winner, it's everywhere, servers, super computers, mobile, etc., we all use it in one way or form whether our servers, the servers of the places we buy stuff from, our phones, whatever it is, it's literally everywhere. Yet there are some out there fixated on winning that one stage, the desktop, some defend it to death and how unless you win that stage you are nothing. I guess I need to be either more in the Linux camp (I'm just a single Mint user) to care enough about what people say, or more of a non-linux user to bash linux users. Either way, it is what it is.

6. STLVNUB

STLVNUB MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2009
    Even OS 10 (X) is better than Windoze 10

7. 1619415

1619415 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2015
    100% True:biggrin::D

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @drnoellyg: I have a $2500 software investment in a Windows 7 recording studio PC that works quite nicely. I have said this many times; there are -NO- acceptable recording studio programs for Linux, hell, most of the audio hardware is not supported. The MAC has Cubase, but Cubase for MAC has more problems and bugs than Windows 10 will ever have.

And what do I do about my $2500 software investment? Throw it away? And what do I replace it with?

It's not about "defending it to the death", it's about finding an alternative that will allow me to recoup my investment, or, at least reuse part of it. And that's true of Many Windows power users. Many of us use programs that are not available or unsupported in Linux.

My statements are not meant to detract from Linux; It has many good qualities. So, what I've decided to do is to separate usage. I will set up a dual-boot Windows 7 / Linux PC to surf safely on the Web and to develop, and I will leave my Windows 7 PC Studio intact.

I think that's a compromise that best suits me.

9. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Yes Linux is everywhere and nearly all of the critical exploits this year are with Linux. I'm sure you don't need me to list them for you, do I?

10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @BobSheep: Nice to see you around again. :)

11. wiredfin

wiredfin MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2015
    I have been using Mint for few days. The biggest problems regarding optimus+nvidia drivers with dualscreen seems to be fixed. There are few things to tweak when using ssd, and one tweak to fix laptop brightness settings getting reset on every boot. There is also something about the fonts I don't like, but surely will get used to. Most annoying thing is that there is a titlebar on Opera and the tabs are not at the top of the screen o_O

I have to admit I still kind of like this. Windows 10 made me feel uncomfortable with privacy and I had added all the updates to W7 installation media, so I didn't want spent many hours trying to find out what updates should be removed to fight this telemetry thing. Decided to look into linux once again and mint's release notes pointed out that optimus cards works better and dualscreen setups are also better now. No problems what so ever. Of course I will install Windows into a virtual machine if I need it for something.

For now, Mint seems to be my choice. My choice! :cool:

12. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I share your thoughts, Skaendo... I hope Linux gains more popularity, at least as much that Microsoft and other companies lose a good share of their market. Increased popularity has some really nasty side effects, so let's hope this medicine Linux won't be affected too much by this. I agree... better safe than "trendy" (i.e. being dumb and gullible, just following companies like Apple or Starbucks like a mass movement whilst feeling individual) - it's not the same in my native language, but I guess you get what I want to say.

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  14. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  15. Arnie25

Arnie25 MDL Junior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    If that doesn't put people off Linux then nothing will :yucky::puke2:

16. Cruze

Cruze MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2015
    Sure linux is better than Windows and gaining popularity . As a long time Window,s user from the 3.0 day,s I can truly say that Linux is best .:)

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #37 Michaela Joy, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Linux Users: I too hope that Linux becomes more popular. There are some things that have to be taught. For one thing, more people need to be willing to learn how to use the command line interface. Many important aspects of Linux are controlled through the CLI. Not everyone is able to do this. There are people who can not balance their check books, much less learn CLI or shell scripting.

So, a good Linux GUI is important as well. And that's the only good purpose of the MAC. OSX is based on UNIX and Linux. And people do like the look and feel of the MAC.
    Maybe it will get them interested enough to test the waters.

The ideal situation for Me would be a tablet that ran a mainstream distro of Linux. I would buy one in a heartbeat. it would be fun and useful at the same time.
    Because of the GNU tools, I could also develop on it. If it had a cellular modem, That would be even better.

I think I'd spend more time on a tablet like that than on My PC running Windows.

So please, to any hardware makers out there. Make My wish come true. :)

19. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #39 Skaendo, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  20. mitsos

mitsos MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Linux better than windows 10? Ladies and gends...come on... are U serious? Do you really believe that Linux can ever be compatible to windows on pc scene?
    I mean, i just present myself after almost 9 years with Q9300, a high-end i7 6700k (selfbuilt) system, running on watercooling, asus maximus 8 z170 board, a samsung m.2 ssd with redicilous fast read and write velocities, 970 gtx series OC videocard and a couple of other goodies, and you expect me to waste my system most of the time with the buggy Linux?
    Sitting and typing all the time commands on terminal? Endless searching for solutions to constantly coming issues? Issues which on windows can solve with a couple of clicks?
    I want to really enjoy my system, my tons of apps and games, and not spend my "life" learning Linux commands...
    I want to full enjoy of all the features which my system is offering. On Linux is no go...

I mean, i installed ubuntu in dual and after all updates he do not even recognise my logitech speakers. Gives sound only to monitor speakers with no other possibilities
    on the settings table. When windows 10 with no by me installed drivers, gives 6 possibilities to play sound. So, now i must waste who knows how much time on searching and
    configurating just only my sound. I will do that sometime when will be time and mood for that of course but... and not to mention the generic driver on my nvidia videocard, which
    does not use even half options of the 970gtx.... that's not the thing you know...

And i would like to give an answer to the fellow forum user who mentioned that Android overtakes windows as most used OS.
    On smartphone and tablets yes. Even MS admitted a couple of moths ago that they lost over 7 billion usd on nokia and smartphone market.
    Why, i can not really tell. I quess they were late to that billions market... I also use android on my smartphone everyday (one+1), with pleasure,
    but which android.... A fully debloated almost adfree cyanogen mode nightly rom,
    with, except (limited) google play, no other google apps. Android is nice because the tons of apps and freedom for the advanced users, but to have android on my pc....:rolleyes:
    Also no go...
    And an advice for those who care about their privacy... Do not use google chrome, on no platform. Is proven to be the biggest spy machine on the planet...