Linux Mint Mate: list of questions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by videobruce, Mar 5, 2016.

1. videobruce

videobruce MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #1 videobruce, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    I don't believe the specific distro is that important (correct me if I am wrong)
    After spending days searching for answers and trying to figure out solutions myself, I gave up (before I loose any more of my hair).
    Below are a list of questions of problems, issues, quirks etc. Please do NOT 'Quote' the entire post when responding (it makes things simpler).

1. Opened programs do not have tabs/icons in the bottom panel (Task Bar). How can you switch focus between multiple open programs if there aren't any showing in the bottom 'Panel'? If you minimize them, how can you restore them back?

2. Disable authenticate every time you open certain 'tools'.

3. Device Manager equivalent that shows ALL devices, not just certain ones (the video card). If you want to update/change a specific device, what program can do this without using the Terminal?

4. Remember resizing printer properties (especially when the list doesn't fit even with it extended).

5. Hack to disable the 'Caps Lock' key.

6. Remove the 'Home' folder and any 'mounted' drives/partitions that you don't want there (without actually unmounting them).

7. 'Name' column resized smaller so that all the columns don't occupy the entire windows width to give a empty space to click on if the folder list is longer than the window can show?

8. Add 'Trash' icon shown on desktop (for quicker access).

9. Modify the date column shown in File Manager to remove the unnecessary day (not date) & time zone.

Thanks in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

1. No idea what you are talking about. :confused:
    2. According to at least one article it can be, but the instructions were not detailed enough (as usual). I'm referring to note having to enter a password every time you access those software or driver applications which is annoying. The apparent Linux version 'UAC' in Windows that you bypass using their 'hidden' or 'Super Admin' account.
    3. With a program, not a command line.
    4. The printer is Canon. The properties box is very small when it opens. It needs to be expanded vertically. Doing so, the next time you access, it reverts back to a ridiculously small window.
    5. Corrected OP. It should of read 'Caps Lock'. (reason should be more than apparent that key is 50 years outdated)
    6. Separate subject.
    7. The 1st default column in File manager is "Name". It's usually too wide (the opposite problem w/ M$). I want to narrow it, but it won't let me. The "not have empty space" is the apparent reason. Another annoyance.
    8 & 9. I will check.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  5. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    What good is that??

If I have Opera (or FF) open, a Terminal window open (which, hopefully won't be often), a Software Manager open and a word processor program open (or any of a thousand other combinations), how is one suppose to switch from one to another?? :confused:

What no one has more than one program running?

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #6 EFA11, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    #7 Nimbus2000, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

I am not sure why you do not see the applications in the task bar, but ALT-Tab is one way to switch.

As for number 6 and 8, you can go to:

System Settings -> Desktop (Cinnamon)

or

Control Center -> Desktop Settings (Mate)

and check or un-check so only the items you want to see are displayed on the desktop

8. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #8 hearywarlot, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    2. Very much Not recommended. A great security of your system is to stop privilege escalation so you should not disable authentication of Polkit and Sudo, even for some applications as this is compareable to XP with Admin (No UAC). Yes Linux system is secure since only user account will be affected if you do something dumb, not the whole filesystem, but this will not help if you make it insecure.

But if you really need to, I will explain how to change permissions for groups and users for sudoers and polkit.

You can edit '/etc/sudoers' and add any binary path with parameters you want to open without password, 'dpkg --configure -a' for example.
    Code:
    Do not messup the syntax of sudoers or SUDO will not run correctly/broken until sudoers is corrected.
    With users password and little security left:

youruser ALL = /usr/bin/dpkg --configure -a

With no password and no god to save you:

youruser ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/dpkg --configure -a

Run 'chmod 0440 '/etc/sudoers'' if permission is incorrect
    For Polkit dependend programs actions add their polkit policies to your own file '/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.mypolkitpermissions.pkexec.pkla' and assign user or group to each policies with your chosen action.
    Code:
    For example for mounting drives or unlocking encrypted filesystems (DMCrypt, etc) with no authentication. Users with sudo group will already have these  though.

[Mounting, checking, etc. of internal drives]
    Identity=unix-user:youruser
    Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system;org.freedesktop.udisks2.encrypted-unlock-system;
    ResultActive=yes

Opening  Network Connections with user password (not root password), feels like  sudo. Also assigned to group which can be added to multiple users using  'usermod -aG mypermissionsgroup user'. Users with sudo group will have this too.

[Adding or changing system-wide NetworkManager connections]
    Identity=unix-group:mypermissionsgroup
    Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system
    ResultActive=auth_self_keep
    Also read up the following articles to learn about Polkit:
    Code:
    Current Polkit explanation in Ubuntu:
    manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/polkit.8.html

More detailed explanation about Polkit, but many heavy changes that do not apply to Polkit in Mint or Ubuntu yet so becareful.
    freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit.8.html

Some extra examples:
    askubuntu.com/questions/185718/allow-non-admin-users-to-mount-drives-via-nautilus
    I hope this will scare you away from editing the default permissions in Ubuntu or Mint to disable security :vampire:

9. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    hearywarlot;

You misunderstood. I wasn't referring to using the Terminal.
    It's those annoying pop-up, enter password boxes when you access certain Linux applications for software & devices/drivers which really don't, or shouldn't need passwords. After all, they are calling it a "Superuser" aren't they?? ;)

10. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Please read my post again, I am not specifically reffering to terminal, but to all permissions on the system.
    What you perhaps are after is Polkit.

11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Regarding #1, I missed you are running MATE, the Window List with apps is for Cinnamon (gives the preview thingy like Windows taskbar) not sure about superbar applets for MATE, consider switching to Cinnamon, it's more customizable.

Regarding #2 - as mentioned, highly NOT recommended - enable firewall and use ClamAV if you really feel you have to use that - I use a fingerprint reader with fingerprint-gui - saves having to type in pwd each time.

12. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    Yes, "Window List" is apparently missing. I initially moved the top panel to the bottom, but I don't know if that should of mattered.

The specific instances I'm referring to are:

Software, Package & Driver Managers for starters. There is also Backup Tool, Software Sources, Network Settings & Domain Blocker that need passwords, but with different pop-up boxes.
    A password for a backup tool?? Come on. :rolleyes:

13. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    Hi Videobruce

I'm new to Linux so I am still working things out. It's a bit of a culture shock from the 'handed to you on a plate' environment of windows but with a bit of perseverance I'm getting there.

Regarding #1.

It looks like at some point you've accidentally deleted part of the task bar (Windows) or panel (Linux) and need to re-edit the panel to get back your window tabs.

I don't use mate but I believe it's very similar to xfce which I do use (on virtual machines to keep them light and nippy and simple)

try creating a new panel (to play around with) and add things to the new panel. Window icons is the one I think you've lost at some point (again this is for xfce, so mate might call it something totally different)

I hope that points you in the right direction.

Regarding #2

For the likes of software manager, installing video drivers and back-up etc. These programs are accessing parts of the OS that regular accounts aren't allowed to. or doing things that require admin privileges (unlike windows, which hangs up a sign saying "come one! come all! and feel free to take advantage")

I eventually got used to the concept and yes it is a pain at times.

It's there to keep your system secure so even selective disabling is to be avoided.

You could, I think, add your user name to the group list of 'allowed users' for the programs you feel don't / shouldn't require a password (yippee! more googling for how to's) but I would strongly advise against it.

Still it's your system, your choice.

I'm still on the learning curve for Linux but I must admit it's worth persevering and learning to do things a little differently to Windows.

14. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    I know and understood things are different. But, trading M$'s 'quirks' (to put it politely) for Linux's quirks is a hard pill to swallow. Add to the HUGE problem of printer support, or should I say lack of, it borders on a deal breaker.
    And yes, I get the security part, but I don't like being handcuffed. :mad:

15. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    #15 Melvarius, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    I'm not sure I fully understand the printer problems.
    Are you talking about the 'fit to page' option in word or printer margins.
    I'm like you in the sense that I am so used to word I find libre office writer awkward. (I run Office 2k7 via play on linux)

I haven't run into any configuring problems with my printer. I don't have a option to customize the printer in general settings for (xfce) and I guess the same goes for (mate), but (KDE) does allow you to do that. (at a guess that may be what your looking for). Note: xfce and Mate are minimalist/lightweight desktop environments
    Using (xfce) though I can configure page size and margins from within the programs I'm using when selecting the print option.

You can install KDE (lite/standard or full) if you want to via software manager. The full version is a bit bloaty for my liking though.

Once it's installed (if you do install it) log out select KDE from the list of desktop environments in the login box (where this is will depend on which login screen you have selected from preferences) and log in again.

I hope this helps you in some way.

P.s. Just found printers configuration utility in the System menu option of xfce (probably the same place as Mate) go figure I have no idea why it's not in settings lol.

16. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Installing multiple D.Es on a machine can botch the installation, so it's recommended to use one.

17. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    When I open up printer properties (I think that was what it was called), one tab had so many entries, it had to be expanded as far as it could vertically since they were all in one seeming endless column. The other problem, when you accessed that again, it didn't remember the re-sizing (the problem W7 has).

18. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    That's because the programmer didn't bother to implement that feature in the software. It's not Linux nor Windows fault.