Linux Mint or OpenSUSE?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by karlo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ns

ns MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2013
    I advise Suse 12.2

2. MadCow333

MadCow333 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    I found and still find OpenSUSE confusing to use and administer. I have used Windows since 1990. I'm familiar with IBM PC clones hardware and software throughout the ages, lol. I had problems with making old printers work and getting Nvidia cards in OpenSUSE. I could not readily find solutions as readily as I did with Linux Mint Debian and Ubuntu. I still have SUSE on that same P4, but I don't have to time to study it in depth. Too much hassle for those of us who don't have spare time, in other words. I think that the Mints and Ubuntus are more intuitive and less hassle for somebody who is hard-core IBM+Windows to just sit down and use. (I haven't messed with Macs or Apples, either.)

3. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Very usable/practical, indeed!!! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. weince_91

weince_91 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2011
    linux Mint i thinks !!!

5. unimatrix725

unimatrix725 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    #25 unimatrix725, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    With those specs I would go with Mint 15 MATE edition and all will be well. Puppy is a bit cheasy, if you had a Pentium 1 or 2 then puppy would be great. You can even go with TinyXP if you want speed, but think a MATE based distro will make you/him/her happy. I put it on my moms old compaq and added another gig of ram (Total 2GB) and it runs great. Less support I have to give and no more "de-herping" her computer. Thank god for the STD free os of Linux Mint! SUSE is geared toward the Geek crowd and requires allot more work than Mint! However if you really know what you are doing SUSE is great. KDE is overkill for that system, perhaps in 2 years when they get Wayland/Weston working it may be viable. I tried KDE on a Phenom II x4 955 4GB Ram and a GT9500(1GB Ram) and it felt like I was struggling through the Nile river....

6. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon is super nice. The menus are compressed, but are very easy and usable. Like someone else stated - just install and use! No need to add...except I like to use Wine for one password program that I run on Windows 7. Great thing about a dual boot with Windows is you can retrieve everything you're used to using (files, etc.) and copy them to your Linux. And if you have enough memory, skip the swap file and get a SSD and you'll zip like never before on a Windows OS. ;)