linux vs windows vs mac

Discussion in 'Linux' started by harry_potter2, Sep 11, 2015.

1. harry_potter2

harry_potter2 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2015
    What do you think is the best operating system?
    I prefer linux:linuxlove:

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012

@harry_potter2: Which do You think is a better tool? A hammer, a screwdriver, or a socket wrench?

My answer would be "it depends on the job at hand". The same statement holds true for programming languages as well as Operating Systems. Each has it's use.

I'm currently running Linux Mint and Windows 7 on a dual-boot system. I like Linux, but, if the need arose, I'd work from Windows.

Welcome to MDL. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I have an ASUS G750 laptop with Win8.1 and Linux Mint, and a MacBook Pro. I'm most familiar with Windows but since the introduction of Win10 I've turned to Linux as an alternative.

Its a hard to pick an out and out winner as each OS has its positive and negative points.

The MacBook just works. Never a single problem with it. Because of its size I sometimes use it in bed to read, and for holidays and travel, again because of its size its perfect. Really simple interface, its has some great programs and I can't fault it as a unit.

The G750 is a monster gaming laptop, and has a permanent position as a desktop computer as I run it with a G400s Mouse, Logitech K810 bluetooth keyboard and a Dell 27" Monitor. Its my daily PC for everything.

I'm only using Win8.1 for gaming, everything else (I'm trying) to Linux Mint.

I find it a satisfying feeling using Linux Mint instead of being forced into Microsoft's idea of what a desktop OS should be. A personal protest at Microsoft's direction and if it wasn't for games, I'd probably ditch Windows for good.

Which is actually a real shame because Windows is a great OS, there's no denying it, but Microsoft as a company have decided on a direction I don't wish to follow. So for now, I'll stick with Win8.1 for gaming only.

Linux Mint has been a God send. I only wish I had of tried it sooner. Its not perfect as I'm slowly learning, but I can't really make that statement as my knowledge is limited and I'm sure I'll iron out my little issues as I learn.

The one thing I am enjoying the most about Linux is the learning curve. Using Windows for so many years I was very much set in my ways as far as usage is concerned. I guess almost robotic like using Windows knowing where everything is and how I want to use it. Like I said, Windows is a great OS and I'm really disappointed in the direction Microsoft have taken.

Linux is challenging me to learn a whole new OS. Considering I only have two brain cells, and they both hate each other, I am experiencing both the joys and frustrations I've not experienced in many many years.

A long long time ago I went through this same experience with Windows, but I was a lot younger and I had a few more functioning brain cells. If only I had of tried Linux sooner.

But because the question is Linux vs Windows vs Mac, I'll say 1st. Linux, 2nd. Windows and 3rd. Mac. But I like them all and wouldn't argue against anyone who's preferences are different from mine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    white car vs black car vs red car

I prefer...a car.

5. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #5 hearywarlot, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

It really depends on what your used your used to work with or if you are a geek/concious or a nooby person.

People tend to use Windows because:
    • Need of certain programs or not knowing alternatives yet
    • A coca cola vs pepsi argument.
    • Familiar to something or kind of people who can not change without withdrawal symptoms.
    • Unable to use anything else because school or work gave no permission.
    • Scared of anything different or unable to learn because stupid?
    • Usually is pretty consistent on the UI over years (Except recently from Win 8 :p).
    Other People tend to use Mac Osx because:
    • Is not Windows.
    • A coca cola vs pepsi argument.
    • Want something cool looking and very stable because based on BSD and Unix.
    • Very big libary of programs available right from the 'App Store', which awesome since no viruses and adware because checked unlike things like Download CNet.
    • Update all programs (System, firefox, java, etc) right from updater.
    • Hardly any 'real' malware unlike scripts to delete important files, spyware safari extensions, etc which all run on user-level (unless you explicitly give permission to root which is stupid).
    • Usually is pretty consistent on the UI over years.
    • Command Line Interface which is Bash and SH is much more powerful than CMD or Powershell in many ways.
    • Programming is easier and more consistent.
    • Is free, no money or licence (except it needs a Mac to run because no drivers for anything else, which is very expensive).
    Other People tend to use Linux because:
    • All arguments from Mac Osx above (except consistent UI, huge libary and such).
    • 100% or 80% of system runs Open Source software which enabled:
      • Possibility to see if spyware or baddies are pushed, which is almost impossible* with closed source software.
      • If GPL licence, project can be forked incase dead, or create own version which if better may be combined with official so everyone profits.
      • Possible write infinitely better software and drivers to because no reverse engineering needed.
      • Anyone can help make project better because code can be read by anyone, which is thousands of minds thinking about your code everyday.
    • Usually listens more to user than most commercial companies and has some great communities (unless you begin about Gnome...).
    • Like to learn how a computer and OS really works and/or want to make the most efficient possible out of it.
    • Have some sort of old device and want to make it useable while running a modern system (unlike XP or worse), such as a pentium 3, your router, your smarthphone or even a Wii/Ps3.
    • Is free, as in beer and literal freedom (still please contribute to help everyone if you can).
    • Runs on 90% of all servers and supercomputers in the world because safest/stable/fastest choice.
    • Has so many different kind of distro's so there is always something fitting to a users need/taste (linux is kernel, rest software combines to distro/OS).
    Obviously not all arguments are here, but atleast this will give you some food for thoughts :biggrin:.

My own choice would be a dual-boot of Archlinux with Cinnamon and Windows 8.1.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Hands Socrates a multicoloured Morris Oxford

7. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Don't forget to e-mail me the keys. :D

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  9. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    #9 manix, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Linux gives too much freedom, and people for the most part prefer security over freedom.
    And I don't mean security in the sense of protection from viruses or attacks, I mean security as in saving them from their irrational fear of technology.
    People are generally afraid of technology, because they think that if they don't know what they are doing, they might break something and not know how to fix it.
    The less learning required for the usage of the technology, the more restricted it is, the less this irrational fear exists, because you can't possibly do anything bad to the device because it is locked down.
    People also don't like important decisions in regards to technology. "What filesystem to use" is an important decision and it requires a lot of research, and where there is research, there is the possibility of you making a mistake somewhere.
    This is why locked down systems are so popular. Everything is decided for you and you can't change anything.
    This is also why iPhone is so popular, you don't have to make a technological decision about what phone to get and evaluate the specs, you just get the new iPhone and forget about it.

10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  11. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  12. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I tested and daily use Windows OS X (even beta of these OS) and many of Linux Distrubutions...Windows can be the best because we are grow with it and large support and driver from the manufacturers.Apple's OS is for me some kind....boring because cannot be customizable so much;Linux have lack support for drivers an advanced OS capabilities :Dual GPU's may cannot properly work,Asus touchpad not working at 100%,games and the quality of the sound is not the same like in Windows(tested by me from 2008 until today in many machines)...and Apple OS is free but their hardware have ridiculous prices(I mean an Iphone can be beted easy with an Ubuntu-based or Android-based phone,an MacBook is weak compaed with an laptop with the same price.

13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Apple hardware is boutique hardware. Super expensive, middle of the road computers, and toys that are, IMHO, purchased as status symbols.

I don't like Objective C or XCODE. The tools are free but You have to buy a certificate to run your app on an actual device.
    And that's $100 for a single user. Then, You have to wait upwards of 6 months for your app to be vetted and allowed into the Apple store. If it's a paid app, You're charged 30% handling fees for credit card transactions.

But....It's Apple!?!

:puke:

14. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Whaen You buy a mac you'buy a brand,just like that.That not mean is goosed in the world just a brand.