List of "Things to Do" Immediately After a Windows 10 Installation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by November_Zulu, Jul 22, 2015.

1. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    #201 akq, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

Well Gee thanks - a PDF file. GREAT! Why not take a picture of the register tweaks to have it even MORE difficulty to edit them?? It was a lot better when you had the tweaks inside the post. PDF Sucks.:mad::mad::mad:

2. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    #202 juzz, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    You could maybe show some respect for person collecting various tweaks on his free time for you to use.

@ ericgl Thanks for the affort. I used some of the tweaks in the past.

I think you could mention beeing extra carefull, when copying multiline commands from the PDF though. Seems to break with long registry keys (and some other long commands), where - before line end does not get copied. Can cause broken registry addresses, if user isn't carefull adding the missing - marks manually.

EDIT: Think it was edge PDF reader issue btw. I didn't have "proper" PDF reader installed back in the day, so the file was opened with edge

3. ericgl

ericgl MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Script is now at version 1.0.

Yes, still in PDF format to annoy credit thieves (something like what murphy78 does with his ISOs).

PLEASE NOTE:
    Some sections of the script are written so that they should be run in a batch file (.BAT or .CMD extension).
    If you intend to run those sections line by line in the CMD, please pay attention to the remarks in that particular section.
    for example, %% needs to be replaced with ^%.

4. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Go right back to seven and don't look back ten is trouble in many ways then one as they say, the good, and the terrible and, the ugly that's the case here, regarding this new sleazy win ten os all negative from any Windows forum on the Internet

5. spreizu

spreizu MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2013
    Can anyone tell where is the "Touch keyboard" icon registry entry located? I tried using RegShot, but it the log file seems useless.

6. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    #206 akq, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

While I admire your work and the tweaks that you have discovered..
    .. You realize you are just annoying the majority with the PDF distribution.

It's like DRM - it tries to prevent privacy, with cost of usability. However pirates avoid it entirely and the only ones suffering are the normal people.
    In this case, any "credit thief" will get whatever they want to get, no matter the format you are offering it. It may slow them down few minutes, maybe an hour, but same like its your hobby to create & share tweaks.. it's also their hobby to steal something without giving credit. It won't matter to them.

Hence you are only causing the misery for the very people you want to offer your tweaks.
    I'm not saying credit thieves are good, but it is pointless to try to annoy them like this, when it is annoying everyone else too.
    In any case, thanks for your work and motivation for the tweaks.

7. westyles

westyles MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2010
    #207 westyles, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    ericgl
    I found the correct way to disable BackgroundUploadTask.
    This method can also be applied for other purposes such as making the values into the register.
    The launch takes place under the rules of the system.
    Psexec.exe should be in the folder with the bat.

Code:
    @echo
    cd /d %~dp0
    psexec -s cmd /c schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask" /Disable
    @pause
    p.s. Psexec.exe does not work when manual disconnect network adapter in Network Center!
    But without the Internet works.

8. ericgl

ericgl MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2011
  9. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Solarsails

Solarsails MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    EXACTLY!

11. 4 years later.

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    My list of things to do after immediate installation of W10 => throw the laptop out of the window :laie:

13. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Scream obsenities and bash head against brick wall :biggrin:

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  16. AwsCc1134

AwsCc1134 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2019
    >Google chrome
    I quit reading there

17. Firefox for ever! :D

18. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    mehhhhhhhhh

firefox sucks these days.
    pale moon also sucks now due to bugs and not supporting updated addons like a newer ublock, current legacy version was causing 1gb+ memory usage and slow browsing.

now installed chromium and it's super smooth.

Same problem with Firefox (very slow), but just install the Nightly Beta and then it works fine.

Only because this bug / slow issue I don’t switch to Chromium or Edge