Locked Motherboard???

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mutnaggewinu, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Mutnaggewinu

Mutnaggewinu MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2008
    #1 Mutnaggewinu, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    HI, I got a question and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I have an intel motherboard that was part of a computer system someone bought from MDG.ca, they are computer company here in Canada. I guess they didn't pay for the computer no more and still logged on with mdg's software. When you don't pay they can lock the motherboard. Is there a way to get around this. I don't have the motherboard in front of me, I can get the exact specs, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about this and or has a work around? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

PS: The mobo is an Intel D946GZIS.

2. truk

truk MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I've never heard of a BIOS being locked remotely.

But if that's what happened, the way to reset most motherboards is to find the jumper on the board that resets the CMOS to its default settings.

To locate this jumper, you would have to have detailed specs about the board.

3. gamemaniac

gamemaniac MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    BIOS being locked remotely? It is absurd and I have never heard something like that. Are you sure about the problem you have been facing and if there is even a slightest doubt it is better if you let the professional do the job.

4. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Technically possible, if it re-flashes its BIOS by some sort of routines, like the virus CIH did years ago.:p

5. gamemaniac

gamemaniac MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Well, danny3456, if you say so I do believe but it is really surprising to me.

6. groovesection

groovesection MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009

Or just remove the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes (making sure the AC power cord is disconnected from the PSU)
    This will clear the CMOS

7. gamemaniac

gamemaniac MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks for providing another option groovesection.

8. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Are you sure it is not software that is installed into windows that phones home through your internet connection, and denies access if payment has not been made? If that were the case, removing that software or reloading windows will take care of it. Try booting into safe mode and see what happens. Although, chances are if the software can not phone home, it still will lock you out. However, I would be slightly surprised if the lockout software was still able to be loaded active under safe mode. (Although they can make a few mods/changes to make sure it is always loaded, even in safe mode.)

9. creamy

creamy MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    well can someone help me?

i have a mdg computer that is lockecked up and u cant boot from cd or get into bios at all when turned on it just says expired platform id key and thats all it does and removed the cmos battery several times only wrked the first time then hydro went out one day and back to were i started and suggestions?
    and yes it was remotley locked up wt he says is true.
    and its not the software as it wont let me get to safe mode or reinstall windows cuase it wont boot from cd wwont let me pass the password .

10. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    So the computer apparently has Master BIOS password set and buyer was happy to accept that. As those passwords are sometimes really PITA to remove, it's most likely going to be tough job, if possible. :(

Without knowing too much of that particular model, either some sort of payment (for BIOS unlock code, if service available), luck (finding someone offering freebies) or hard work. The last option includes soldering a chip from MoBo and reprogramming it... or dirty (and possible hazardous!) trick.

Without having previous experience of (un)assembling and (de)soldering I'd say the best route would be buying an unlock code from support. Availability of it depends of manufacturer. For example, from Dell it comes in a form of buying 3 month support after providing a proof of ownership.

If I would buy second hand laptop, I'd make sure that there are either no passwords set or they'd be given to me. After that, complete OS reiinstall without any OEM equipped "security" etc. softwares. Manufacturers usually say this kind of thing is for security reasons... while it seems more pointed against sales of used laptops.

Oh, yes... I have currently one HP XE3 under work, too.

So off you go googling "Master BIOS password reset" or similar phrases...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. SAB

SAB MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2009
    BIOS Master Password...

What MDG is doing might be unethical but it is AFAIK it is not against the law. Educate yourselves before you go shopping for a PC, take a knowledgeable person with you. If you're ignorant and you work hard to stay that way (i.e. you don't have time to learn about computers) then you either need to hire a professional to help you or you take the risk of being taken-advantage of.

OK, having said all that the good news is that you can get around their little BIOS password quite easily. In fact the only BIOS password I know of that is difficult (but not impossible) to get around is the supervisor BIOS password on IBM products, most notably thinkpads, but even that can be broken.

To get around their feeble attempt to keep you out of your PC you need to gather some information, Open the PC case and have a look at the Motherboard to get the manufacturer and model, if doing this makes you uneasy then hire a professional.
    Write the motherboard information down. Using another PC (because the one you opened is probably dead) proceed to the manufacturer's website and search for that model of their MB. Most manufacturers have manuals online in PDF form, download that and start reading. The bit you're interested in details the various jumpers on the motherboard. Locate the information pertaining to resetting the BIOS, or something to that effect (i.e. Intel boards might not have a BIOS reset, but will have a BIOS mode that allows you to reset the password... other manufacturers might just have a way to set things to the factory-defaults.. it differs for each manufacturer). Follow the instructions for your MB and clear the passwords. Again if you are uneasy doing any of this then hire a professional.