logged in with temporary profile

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by treacherous_hawk, Apr 1, 2014.

1. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Hello,

I also have another pc which is running Windows 7. It is Dell and almost 7 to 8 years old and still serving. I had this issue wherein it would continuously say explorer.exe has stopped working and even closing the error would not reload explorer and would go into continuous loop. It did the same thing even in the safe mode. Last night i tried to chkdsk /r in recovery with bootable Windows 7 USB and when restarted it logs me in into temp profile. I have tried to rename the .bak file in registry in HKLM>Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>Current Version>Profile List and restarted but it still logs me into temporary account. I have tried to delete the one that says old_username or temp_username (original username not temp) in the same registry location and rebooted but still the same. I only need a few things from Desktop that i saved. How can i recovery them? or How can i fix this issue altogether without losing anything?
    Thanks

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    restore to a previous check point and run "SFC /Scannow" in CMD as admin.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just browse to your old users desktop.
    ie, c:\Users\Old_User\Desktop
    If you boot your usb key you can manually go there & xcopy to another drive\folder whatever..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Apologies, i forgot to mention that i managed to run sfc /scannow in safemode somehow. Apart from that, when i try to access the old user profile it doesn't open, gives message about being corrupt or something, not sure about exact message. I have also tried to do system restore to earlier date (only one was available) and that didn't work either.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Well, it's time to format and re-install.

6. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Is that the last option i am left with?:suicide:

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Why is so bad to do this? I do it on a daily basis and solve if not all, at least the majority of issues.

8. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    i can do it anytime, but just those 2 files that i wanted to recover from the Desktop before formatting, I have given it a thought already after everything i tried has failed but again, looking for some hope.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Well, boot hiren's boot cd or any other rescue disk up and recover it. :tea:

10. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    out of many tools and resources under Hiren's boot CD which one should i use?

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Mini Windows XP

12. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    link to Mini Windows XP on Hiren's boot cd page takes to another page where the download is no longer available. Would you be kind and provide me with link?

13. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You could boot from a Linux LiveCD and copy the two files to your removable media of choice. Once you get all this sorted out, have Windows 7 make a system image and keep it in a safe place (internal or external hard drive) for those times you need to get back to a stable system.

And as usual, backup, backup, backup.

14. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Before posting i did try that, but unfortunately, i have 32 bit OS and the Ubuntu was 64bit, did not work. I have already reinstalled Windows. Thanks.

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011

16. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    As from the last post, i had Windows 7 reinstalled and activated and upated. Today again it started the same thing, keep on going in loop explorer.exe has stopped working. I can try System restore, Safe mode and virus scan using live CD (i would like to use live USB as CD drive in this laptop doesn't work). Can someone suggest me what else could be done to fix this? or what could be the cause of this as i have installed Windows just because of this issue.:confused:

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    With this being a 2006 vintage computer, and you're reinstalled the OS to no evail, you might consider it's just time to retire it. Things don't last forever; how much effort is a computer this old worth?

18. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Totally agree with you, but does it seem like a hardware problem? I just feel this is software issue so, unless the harddrive is failing or any other component is failing, there is not such indication either. I will retire it soon though. May be use it for next 6 more months at the max. Any suggestions?