"LogonUI.exe Bad Image" ???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by red-antz, Mar 25, 2010.

1. red-antz

red-antz MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    hi guys I'm new to the forum and I desperately need some helpo_O

I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows7 Ultimate (32 bit, even tho the laptop can handle 64 bit) using a Toshiba OEM upgrade that i found online. It worked wonderfully for about a week, then I started getting logon errors when i restarted my machine.

LogonUI.exe, Bad Image
    Windows/System32/winbio.dll
    This file is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again...............blah blah blah

So I did the next logical thing and tried to reinstall Windows, one problem. ONE BIG PROBLEM.:confused:

Windows 7 isn't seeing my laptops hard drive. Its seeing my external usb drive but not my laptops hard disk. I've tried and i tried and no luck.....

I'm at a loss for ideas, i hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm using a Toshiba L305D S5895.

Thanks for your time

2. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Did you reinstall? or Repair?

Where does it NOT see your laptop HD but it does see the USB one? In the BIOS? or in the install screen?

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It is probably the install screen. @red-antz: Try download a iso copy of western digital data lifeguard(Google it) and boot it to a CD. See if it see's your internal harddrive and if so run a quick test. Come back here and report the error code that Data Lifeguard gives you k? That will tell you if you are having a harddrive issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    ^^.. Yep
    Also go in the bios and make sure it still sees the internal HD. If not then no need to download the lifeguard tools. Straight to Newegg for you.

5. red-antz

red-antz MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    thanks for the advice, will post results once i download and check my bios

@FerretKing , its at the install screen

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Ok good luck. BTW I would also check your harddrive cables to make sure that they are all in there tight an not come loose as that could be another reason you are not getting the drive in the install window.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. red-antz

red-antz MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    ok so the bios is seeing the hard drive as " Toshiba MK2546GSX "
    and the bios version is 1.7, i couldnt tell if there's a newer bios version from the toshiba support website

but still no luck installing to the C: drive

8. red-antz

red-antz MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    data lifeguard reported that it failed the cable test, any good tutorials on how to open this thing online??

thanks

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  10. red-antz

red-antz MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    it said it passed its SMART status
    I didnt get an error code @sam, just a dialog box that reported that "the test was stopped with errors, the cable test failed. Please check cables"

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Ok check the cables and or buy new ones. That should fix your issue if Data Lifeguard is telling you that you failed a cable test.

12. red-antz

red-antz MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    thanks guys, I dont trust myself to open it just yet, let me do a lil more research first

thanks again

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I'm sorry is it a laptop or a desktop? Either way it should be pretty straight forward dude. If you are worried you can always take it to a professional repair shop that can fix it for you.