Long-time SLIC Activation, Windows Update broke it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AtomicStryker, Dec 14, 2014.

1. AtomicStryker

AtomicStryker MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    #1 AtomicStryker, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    h**p://imgur.***/ACRvPON <- replace stars with tt, com for link

This has been popping up for several days now, a couple of times a day. I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme6, BIOS-Modded with a 2.1 SLIC for Windows 7 Ultimate x64, never had any issues with it, ran all Windows Updates.

I have been reading around a bit and apparently there was a Windows update that broke certificates somehow ... i uninstalled several Windows Updates from a recent (the last?) patch day due to a different issue (AMD Omega Driver was also broken by these...).

Now, there is supposedly KB3024777 which fixes the "broken" Windows Update (or rather, uninstalls it). I have run it, in administrator mode, it does not do anything "visible". I cannot find the "broken" update KB3004394 in my uninstall menu.

Before installing KB3024777 i had also tried updating my BIOS, along with a new and different SLIC and key (both worked).

However, after all is said and done, i am still getting these popups.

When i right click on Computer is says "Windows is activated". I am not getting the black screen / Windows not activated issue either, its just the popup.

How do i make it stop, pls.

EDIT:
    I should probably mention i have run Windows Update again, to make sure i am not missing fixes.
    Is is possible it wont install a fix because of the Windows Update Patches i uninstalled? Is there a way to re-install those back? That doesnt break my AMD driver??

EDIT 2:
    And KB3024777 does show up in my windows update history as "Successfull".
    As does KB3004394, 2 days before

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    If it is a problem caused by an update, then a system restore to a point before the update was installed would be an obvious thing to try.

3. AtomicStryker

AtomicStryker MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    The OS has system restore disabled - it used to be squashed into a tiny SSD and there was no space. And i never re-enabled it, sadly. My mindset was like "if it really breaks ill just get the next Windows anyway". But then i decided i didnt like Windows 8. And then MS somewhat improved it ... and so on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hdmdl

hdmdl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2014
    #4 hdmdl, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    have you tried slmgr /rearm and then restart pc.

if that does not work you may try slmgr /upk (that should delete activation) and restart. after that you need to insert your license certificate and oem key.

Note: slmgr /upk removes the activation so it is up to you to use that or not.

5. AtomicStryker

AtomicStryker MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    #6 AtomicStryker, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    (OP)
    I tried rearm, which didnt fix it. Yes i suppose i have damaged files now ... meh, i will do a repair install tomorrow. Not yet ready to throw away the current setup in favor of 8.1 ... probably waiting for 10 hue

EDIT:

I have googled some more and an answer from MS phone support, apparently, is that only a phone activation fixes the broken root certificate. I assume those things are fully automated ... can i do that for a SLIC-fixed license?

EDIT 2:
    The same phone support guy said MS has not "fixed" the issue yet, so i might aswell just do nothing and wait for the fix for the fix .. for the fix

6. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    MS reps are clueless. Get on with the repair install.

7. AtomicStryker

AtomicStryker MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    Executed repair install. Took quite some time, with all the Windows Updates afterwards were talking like 3-4 hours. On the bright side, i do not appear to have lost anything. And i dont expect that window to show up again. Thanks a bunch