Looking for help Optimizing Vista for Audio

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rainwaterfrog, Jul 24, 2007.

1. rainwaterfrog

rainwaterfrog MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2007
    I would love to know all of the ins and outs and the differences of Vista against all the old operating systems but just don't have the time at this time. SO----

The primary use of this computer is to record music. That's what I bought it for!!

I am looking for instructions to set up a striped down (get rid of all the bells and whistles) version just to record audio.

I have detailed instructions to do this for XP (Optimizing for audio) and that sets up a menu to choose what you want at startup (the striped version for recording OR the complete Vista to upgrade and such). But I need an uninterrupted operating system for recording. Does this make since?

I am using an interface (an external sound card if you will from PreSonus, "Firepod") through a fire wire connection and a recording program.
    I don't want to use the internal sound card!
    I'm sure there is somebody else out there is wanting to do the same thing as I am. I hope.

I hope that there is some way to do this as Vista seems to be slower than XP and with 4g ram and duel processor one would think it would be faster.

Sure need some guidance on this one.

Ernest

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    #2 ancestor(v), Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
    For autostart, you can use AutostartManager. If you want to get rid of the sounds, just go into Control Panel -> Sound -> Sounds -> Sounds Scheme -> None
    or switch 'em off there manually. Tadaaa, Vista is now quietVista.
    And of course, you have to mock around a bit, because I just tried to translate the names of the options (I know, Control Panel is the correct name for it), but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although Vista is stable and IMHO fast and already in full order some problems with "professional" software and/or hardware may occure due to some missing drivers, bugfixes or whatever.
    Give it a try, it may work, but be aware that it could also totally fail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rainwaterfrog

rainwaterfrog MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks

Thanks sir for your response

For Autostart, where might I find such and is it what I want? A menu before Windows ever starts??

And I will check into the sound thing only I want all the sound to go to the external sound card.

Thanks again

Ern

4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Startup* is a folder in your start menu (the thing that opens if you hit [Strg] and [Esc]) where local software entries are and autmatically open when starting windows. If there is anything that produces sounds, delete it. There won't be any software deleted, btw. Just delete the entries from the auto startup folder.

*I'm not sure about the english name of autostart, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Everything you need to do is checkup the sound thingy in the Control Panel.
    Just switch off every single sound.
    Then Windows itself is quiet. Or use a sound profile: one for normal use and one for recording whatever. Usually, they are already in the sound options. You can choose between "None" and "Windows Standard Scheme".

And one word about prof software/hardware and Windows Vista: Some errors and/or malfunction may occur, maybe it doesn't work at all. This is because Vista is new, there are a lot of bugfixes, updates and workarounds but still not everything is working properly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...