lost 3D capabilities since update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by halfdeaded, Jan 9, 2010.

1. halfdeaded

halfdeaded MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    O.K. This is the third time I've tried to post this thread. The first two times I posted I came back an hour or so later to find my post missing Maybe this time it will stay. When I did it the 2nd time I made sure to copy it.
    So here we go again...

When I first installed win7 I was able to run my billiards, mahjongg, & flight sim programs as well as my 3D screen savers. After a auto-update everything 3D gets a notification stating I need to replace my graphics card or get one that is Direct 3D compatible. Even if I try to run it compatible to Win XP sp3 I get the same results.
    I know the on board graphics that came with the computer are good enough to work these programs & Aero because they had no problem at first.

Could Windows Experience Index be the problem? I know that this was not working at first, but started working after the update.
    Is it possible to disable this? It seems to be nothing more than a marketing scheme to get people to buy the latest & greatest computer hardware so they can "keep up with the Joneses".

Any advise or tips & tricks would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You in advance...ed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    What update is causing the trouble? Post a screen or a list of ur installed updates...

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    You could simply disable automatic updates and do a system restore to a point before the last updates were installed.
    Or maybe go "device manager / display adapter" right click and see if you can "roll back driver".

Windows experience index has nothing to do with this, it merely gives an indication of your system performance. :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It probably installed a driver update for your graphics card that went bad.

Reinstall the driver from the vendor's site.

5. Glix

Glix MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Never use Driver Updates from Microsoft, it always ends in tears.

Seriously, want to know how many Sony Vaio's go to the repair center because of users listening to Microsoft's update advice?

Unless you have an issue with your current driver, do not use the drivers provided by MS update, unless you can see a changelog/details.

Rollback your driver in Device Manager.

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Yes, absolutely. ONLY install drivers from Microsoft Update for devices you can't find the drivers for on your own. I've had video drivers off of MU that worked with less capability than the ones I already had installed.

7. klein

klein MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2012
    Nvidia 3d lost after windows update

I also am having problems. After just buying a latest Dell XPS with windows 7, I initially had 3d but installed all the latest Nvidia Geforce drivers and latest Firefox with HTML5 compat so I have full 3d online as well. Now everytime (twice so far) windows automatically updates my screen resolution is set smaller than my screen and 3d doest work at all. Takes the p**s. I have just restored it to before the updates again so it works proeprly. Definately going to stop the auto updates but id like to know what the cause is if any clever cloggs has worked it out.

8. klein

klein MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2012
    also just foud out it did exactly the same after installing the update patch for powerdvd 11