lots of APPCRASH Windows 8 Developer Preview (only old PC)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jygoro, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jygoro

jygoro MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi everyone, I was very happy with W8 32bits in my laptop (Core2 Duo T6000 64bit, ATI HD4530, 4Gb RAM) so I wanted to try it in my old PC expecting the same success (Athlon XP 2800+ (socket A, mmx, SSE, 3Dnow!), 2Gb DDR 400 Dual Channel, Asus ATI HD3450 AGP)
    I have to say this same old PC is running Windows 7 SP1 without any problem or crash.

After installing W8 the first thing I did was right click on Computer-> Manage and the application crashed. After some days of use the number of crashes did keep increasing. If I run services.msc it crash, the same with eventvwr.msc, Scripted Diagnostics Native Host, ngentask.exe, WinRAR setup, Mipony... etc
    So I went to see reliability history (awesome tool) and found the culprit of almost all my crashes in two files: clr.dll and d3d10warp.dll.
    First one is a .Net framework file so I tried to reinstall .Net v4 without luck as now is part of the o.s. Second one seems is from DirectX so I also updated it but the crashes continue. I tried new graphics drivers or safe mode without luck. Finally I also tried in another old computer (Sempron 3000+, 512Mb DDR, Nvidia Geforce4) and the same crashes appeared like in my PC.

So I suspect Windows Developer Preview doesn't run well with some old CPUs. Both PCs with crashes have a CPU socket A and lack important instructions like SSE2. Can someone please confirm this? Maybe is a problem with 32 bits CPU because in the laptop runs great.