Low disk space in 'C' drive (OS WIN7).

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sid_16, Oct 30, 2011.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Hello all I'm a new member joined this discussion board a weeks earlier and I've a problem but don't know where to post this request, please forgive my ignorance. Sir I'm using windows7 ultimate service pack '1' , my 'C' drive is 30 gb only and other drives are 61 gb . Recently I noticed that the 'C' drive is getting full everyday (almost 21 / 22 gb.) and 8 / 9 gb remaining, I just want to know, if it is possible to merge two drives -say 'C' + 'E' into one drive to get 90 gb of total disk space in 'C' drive without reformatting the OS. If it is possible then can I do it myself or need a professional help to do that for me.o_O An early expert reply will highly be appreciated.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Is this thread not worth replying? I need your help please.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    if you happen to have BOTH partitions on the same physical drive (i.e. C: 30 GB on drive 0 and D: or E: 61 GB on drive 0) it would be possible deleting the second partition and expand your C: to the desired size.
    if your C: is one physical drive and your 61 GB partition is on another physical drive your out of luck and need to get a bigger driver for C:

Fig!

FYI, it is good to show some patience from time to time, and welcome to the forums

4. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm very sorry for the impatience I showed and thanks for the welcome. My HDD is 160 GB. total and 'C' is 30 GB and 'D' , 'E' are 61 GB respectively, which I think is from the same HDD. Now how can I delete one partition and expand the 'C' drive to 90 GB? Please give me some hints.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

5. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    #5 jayblok, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    start, right click "computer", click "manage", click "disk management" on the left side

find the partition closest to your C: drive on Disk0, should be the very second drive to the right on the disk if your windows is on the first partition. backup the data on the second partition, or move it to another partition. you want to use the space where the second partition is (doesn't have to be, but it's best to do it this way, trust me) so that the data on your hdd stays nice and compact and all together. after backup or copying, delete your second partition--right click on it and choose "delete"

now right click your first partition and choose "extend volume"

when the dialogue comes up, just increase it to the max that is available to extend by and you are done.

and to prevent losing so much space for nothing, go to "control panel", "system", "system protection" on the left side, and "configure" your "system restore" to use like 3GB of space for restore points, or turn it off altogether because it sux and if you make regular backups you don't need it. this will delete all your previous restore points automatically and you should see you have gained quite a bit of space.

if you've been using defraggler to defrag your hdd, then you will lose space really fast because by default it creates restore points before it does each file move, and can and will fill up your hdd fast if you don't change this setting or have your system restore off or set to a low space value.

7. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks sir / mam for the video tutorial but I can't find the 'Extend volume' in 'C' drive after deleting the 'E' partition .Now what shall I do next? Please tell me.
    thanks,
    sid_16

8. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Sorry sir, I deleted the wrong partition that is 3rd to the 'C' drive after seeing the video tutorial, that didn't mention the closest or farthest drive to delete ,that's why I can't see the extend volume in c drive please help me here.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    see my post above. you can't extend a partition with windows when the unallocated space is not directly next to the partition you want to extend. you have to use easus partition master or similar if you want to extend a volume with unallocated space that is not in line with the partition you want to extend

10. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    :sad3: o_O Please tell me how can I regain the 'E' drive and extend the 'C' drive to 'D' successfully .
    Sorry for the trouble and mess I made here.
    thanks,
    sid_16

11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    regain the data you lost from E: or just make a new E: drive?

just right click the unallocated space and click "new volume" or similar and recreate it. as for getting your data back--you should always copy or backup data you think you will need before you do anything like this...

if you need to get your data back, well, that's a little more complicated, pm me if this is the case.

otherwise just create a new partition in the space you just deleted one from, then move your data from D: to the new one, and then delete D: and then extend C: the right way :cool:

12. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    To stayboogy,
    I've used disk defrag. 3 / 4 times since the win7 installation just three weeks earlier before that I was using Win XP. with lots of application but I uninstalled many application due to low disk space in win7 still I've very low disk space. By turning system restore off won't cause any problem and what shall I back up like choose individually (the whole system files) or let the windows choose what to back up?
    thanks,
    sid_16

13. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i was talking specifically about "defraggler" program. if you haven't used in windows 7 then nevermind, it's just a common reason why space fills up for no reason

let windows choose, or turn it off if you use your own backup software to make system images from time to time

14. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    I just created a new 'E' drive and transferred the data from 'D' to 'E' then deleted 'D' but still unable to find 'Extend the Volume' in 'C' drive , what shall I do the next?

15. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #15 stayboogy, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

Attached Files:

16. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    From the drop down menu I find these :-
    OPEN
    EXPLORE
    mark partition as active
    CHANGE DRIVE LETTERS AND PATHS
    format
    extend volume
    Shrink volume
    add mirror
    PROPERTIES
    HELP
    All capital letters are highlighted and small letters are not.
    Please tell me what to do next.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

17. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Exactly, I got the same drop down menu as shown in the attachment. Now how can I extend the volume in 'C' drive when that letters are not highlighted?

18. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Sir, how can I post a screen shoot . I've tried to copy the disk management but unable to do so.:sad3:

19. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm afraid if I've post the correct screen shoot.

Attached Files:

20. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Sir I already have done what you and other experts told me to do - (like backing up old data to 'E' and deleting the partition 'D') but unable to find Extend Volume... in 'C' drive in disk management (please see in the attachment). Please guide me here what to do next.
    thanks,
    sid_16