Low disk space in 'C' drive (OS WIN7).

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sid_16, Oct 30, 2011.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Sir, shall I move all my data 'C' + 'E' or only the data from the 'E' to an external drive? Because c+e = 29 GB but e=7 GB only. Shall I move both or only 'E' ?o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    To acrsn,
    Thank you sir for the help. At present I don't have a 8GB pen drive to copy all the data from 'E' drive and I'll buy one tomorrow then do as you said.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    You could actually use the free bootable CD (.iso) version of Partition Wizard to convert the extended partition into a primary partition (plus unallocated space preceding that primary partition) without having to delete E: at all.
    Then you can easily extend C: - that'll at least save you from having to offload all the data from both D: and E:.

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    sorry, but sid_16, you have to have "unallocated" space directly next to the partition you want to extend to be able to extend it. if you do not, you will not have the option. from looking at your screen shot you don't have "unallocated" space next to C: which is your problem. you have to delete the partition next to C: then you can extend it to use the "unallocated space"

5. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    As said earlier I already have deleted 'D' drive and backed up data to 'E' but can't see the 'EXTEND VOLUME' in 'C' drive disk management , which is not highlighted may be my bad luck or due to previously deleted 'E' partition and trying to move 'c' to 'e' or something else I don't know. Is there anything wrong inside the system ? By the way I'm posting another screen shoot of the disk management, please verify and reply if it is possible to extend 'C' drive ('C' + 'D') into one drive or leave it as it is and switching off the restore point and make regular back ups etc...

Attached Files:

6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  7. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks for the video tutorial. That tutorial shows the "unallocated" space but in my disk management why can't I see the "unallocated" space in 'D' drive. I didn't do anything other than what is told, me to do like -deleting the partition and to extend the volume in 'C' drive, after several trial I failed to see "unallocated" space and not highlighted 'extend volume..' in the disk management.:sad3:

Is anything went wrong ? Is there any solution for it? any help from the experts?
    thanks,
    sid_16

8. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Why don't you just back up all your files to an external hard drive or flashdrive or burn your files to a cd or dvd and just reformat your hard drive and re-install windows?? just saying....no big deal,i've done it,:biggrin:

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    jayblock, that's microsoft mike i think (a little slowed down) :p

sid_16, i have no idea what seems to be your problem. you only have 2 partitions listed in that last pic you posted--C and E, if this is correct then you have to delete E before you can extend C...

you can't extend a partition without unallocated space next to it, period.

maximize your disk management window and take another snip that shows the whole hdd bar at the bottom that shows all your space, the whole thing, adjust the columns sizes if you have to.

10. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    1St I have to tell you that my HDD is 160 GB total 'C' = 30 GB 'D' & 'E' are 60 or 61 GB respectively and after deleting 'd' partition I've only two partition left that is 'c' and 'e' where I'm unable to extend 'c' volume .Therefore I've to delete 'e' partition after backing up the data into an external drive to get an 'UNALLOCATED SPACE' am I right sir ? at present I've no removable storage device but I'll do it as soon as possible and see what happens and hope you all will guide me where I'm wrong.

P.S- A tiny partition pups up at the right corner of the screen shoot that is =9 MB UNALLOCATED SPACE
    Why so?

thanks,
    sid_16

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  12. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Thank you very much for this post sir. The reason behind my worries about the free space is that when I installed win7 ultimate, three weeks earlier, it just took 3 / 4 GB something space along with MS Office 2007 and Quick heal AV and Nero 6 etc.. in 'C' drive but now (three weeks after) it has occupied 22 GB of space and it may increase . That is my worry as a layman.
    thanks,
    sid_16.

13. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    This is the latest screen shoot of my system's disk management.

Attached Files:

14. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    After deleting the 'D' & 'E' volume still I'm unable to see the much needed 'UNALLOCATED SPACE' in both the drives (now one with no name)
    What shall I do now? shall I give up hope and leave it as it was / is? Lastly can I make two partition from that free space from both the drives?
    thanks,
    sid_16

15. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    #36 jassi, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Try this- EaseUS Partition Master Home - Freeware.

16. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    If I delete that free space outlined in green the system will remain with one drive 'C' .I've tried it but saw a warning " if I delete that partition it will never be accessible". thanks, sid_16

17. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    yes, it gives that warning any time you delete a partition, it does the same in the video i posted, that is normal. several of us have told you the exact same thing--"you have to delete the partition next to C" and that's all there is to it." you seem to be making this way much harder than it ever should be for whatever reason :p

but sorry you've just not figured it out. and the boot cd someone posted for you is good, but I don't suggest you play around with it much if you can't do this in windows because you very well could possibly make your system inaccessible if you don't know what you are doing.

18. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Please see and verify the last screen shoot I posted with only free space not the much needed 'allocated space' to extend the 'c' volume and for a lay man like me worries and fear of damaging the system is very high with unavailability of 'sudden' technical help is another issue.

19. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #40 stayboogy, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    just as acrsn said, you have to delete the "extended partition" that is green--right click the green space and choose "delete volume"--and then you will have unallocated space. then all you have to do is extend C to use as much of that space as you want. you figure it by GB, so if you want to extend C by 8GB then it's 8 x 1024mb=8192mb. or if you want to extend it by 20GB it's 20 x 1024mb=20480mb

i'm sorry, and not to be rude, but there is absolutely no more to tell you than we have all already told you. if you can't figure it out with us explaining exactly how to do it, which we have several times over, then i'm sorry you are just out of luck. but there is no reason you can't do it as we've told the directions time and time again.