LTSB N vs Server 2016

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KolCat, Nov 24, 2016.

1. KolCat

KolCat MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    Well since my previous thread got deleted do to the allegedly hack from a super moderator acc,I decided to make a new one again.

In my previous post I mentioned that I was rediscovering mdl recently after I came across this old acc from trying to mod a laptop bios back in the day.
    Life story aside I found that the least resource heavy version of Windows 10 seems to be LTSB N with little to no bloat and almost no Microsoft telemetry either,exactly what I'm looking for.
    I downloaded and decided to install another day since I needed to backup my stuff first.

Skip a few days back in the forum to see if there's anything else I should know before installing,and I came a across a mentioning that Server 2016 rivals the LTSB N even surpass it in terms of resource consumption as well having more control over telemetry,since it as pretty much everything disabled by default.

So my question is,I'll be installing this on old laptop T4300-2.5GB RAM-250GB 850 EVO,which version should I install LTSB N or Server?

I will be using the laptop for light software development,web development and possible a Linux VM if it can handle that,main concern is performance,but if performance is very similar I prefer to use the option with least telemetry or that as the option to disable telemetry(I think the rumor is that GPO is not working in LTSB).

P.S:Oh yeah I will also be installing the same OS on my main rig which will also be used for gaming,besides the things that I mentioned above,so if you can,help me choose the OS for my main rig too:worthy:.

Edit:Apologies for any spelling,grammar mistakes English isn't my first language,and please fell free to correct me.

2. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Maybe it's the powers from another parallel universe telling you to do your own testing ;)
    In the end, that's how all "Which is better" posts end up...

My opinion, on a 2016 laptop, is...

1. Server 2016 is the fastest Win 10, customizable to an extent.
    2. Not all applications will run...some will clearly tell you it cannot be installed on Server editions, which will lead you on the path of hacking and modifying registry values and what not.

If I were you, I would install LTSB 2016 and not the N version. I assume you would wish to sync a mobile phone at some point of time and that would require the media addon which isn't present in the N versions.
    Like I said, any advise you get is just relative to the person advising you.
    What matters most is your experience and how / what you use your PC for...
    Hope this helps...

And if this gets deleted...:eek::eek::eek:

3. KolCat

KolCat MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    :DIf this gets deleted again,I will be 100% sure that it's sign to not install Server 2016,and install LTSB instead.

I like tinkering with things and I would probably enjoy messing around it Server, that's the main the reason I'm running custom lubuntu installation on the laptop right now.
    But since lubuntu not cutting right now do to Photoshop,Visual studio not playing well in VMs with such a low power computer I decided to look around for the "lightest" version of windows available right now,but if that means hours of troubleshooting and serious headaches for little to no "real world" performance gain I will just stay with LTSB N(I not really planing to use a mobile with this computer,so I don't mind the lack of the media addon).
    Oh by the way does the GPO work on LTSB to disable for example windows update?And is it impossible to block telemetry (even on Server)without a firewall and many hours of tinkering?

4. KolCat

KolCat MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    Will do.
    Thanks for help man:worthy:.