LTSB N - What's the point?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bezalel, Aug 13, 2015.

1. supersonic124

supersonic124 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2014
    Well, you can straight up disable telemetry in the group policy editor since it's an Enterprise edition. I haven't really noticed any suspicious traffic when doing that in combination with the "Destroy Windows Spying" program. However, for some reason I keep getting connections to bing whenever I type something into search, even though there's no Cortana or web search.

2. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

(they still are hooked on your unit) doesn't matter what you do, unless your a cisco engineer who worked on windows 8 and 10s tracking system then you will be able to do something about it, for you and me and the rest of us, its all stealthy working and not showing signs the real tracking system in windows 8 and 10

3. lordashram

lordashram MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    Actually there has been some posts in the LTSB N thread of installing the 32bit version on XP hardware and running better than 32bit Win7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think it depends on a lot of things. If you remove some of the overlord stuff like Defender and such, it will be faster since Defender has to scan every exe and dll file.

5. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Not an argument ,Murph

Just lets keep on the same page on the hardware example (asus rampage formula board, core 2 extreme 3.2 or an Intel i7 with at least 8gigs of ram and a good name brand ssd hd, performance right across the board will be % higher in areas starting with XP and Seven (then 8 and ten)

The majority who working in IT for a living in mainstream IT don't care about boot up speeds never have and never will if that's what the current ten build and 8 build is the wowing and shining parts

Murphy try to compile megs and gigs of data on win ten and 8 compared to Win XP see with your own eyes there are reports XP and Seven really do mean hard core ITing in every aspect... and matter of fact as we speak seven and xp still hold the market share for (aug-2015) little gain on ten at the moment 8 is growing more then ten for this moment..... XP and Seven will be around for many years

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I've seen reports that cpu-intensive video editing stuff runs way faster on 10, so maybe it just depends what kinds of programs you run.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Not quite.

XP is way smaller than the newer Windows, so surely on platter drives it loads faster. But put an SSD on an old PC and you'll notice that XP will boot in 25 secs, more or less the same as 7, while 8 will boot in 15 secs, because the improved driver loading and timing at boot.

Letting aside XP, which is an older generation, vista, 7, 8 and 10, are the same size, and generally seven is faster than vista, 8 is faster than 7, 8.1 and 10 aren't any slower than 8.

While 8 and 10 have some more new services over 7, they have a lot of things stripped down, so no, 8 isn't slower than seven.

Usually is way faster.

8. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

I agree with you, Murph it all again boils down to what your doing with your unit, its it real hardcore and making a living on this, field, or farting around and running around on Facebook, warez for a free dinner, and just fooling around then if that's the case it makes no difference what os your on mac apple, google, or RIM, its all by the wave side...

Night Murph,

See you around, again and it always has been a pleasure back and forthing with you over the years, ;)

Murph, lets just say I am a very old very close friend that you haven't touched based with for moons :)

lol

9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I LOVED Windows 10 LTSB N. It was using less resources than Windows 8 ever did (see screenshots).

But I cannot find away to install the store. I do have some apps I would like to use, but I wanted it to be my choice and without hacking away to remove the ones Microsoft added.

If there was a stand alone installer for the store, I would have stayed with Windows 10 LTSB N.

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      69 KB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
  10. fbifido

fbifido MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    #31 fbifido, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Which version of windows 10 is this ?
    Does not mean no metro apps.(store is metro, edge is metro) ?
    or is the a MOD Windows 10 ?

Does this mean it has metro & metro apps ?

Thanks

11. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Exactly. No Edge, no Store.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    heh remove the crapps from EnterpriseN, it has store already in it. Adding the store, to add crapps is kinda off base for what EnterpriseS is intended for. There is no hacking away to remove all the crapps from Win10, just some PS commands.

I really think that would be your better way of going if store and crapps are a must.

Just my 2 pickled pigs feet :biggrin:

13. redbug

redbug MDL Junior Member

Sep 27, 2010
    When they say LTSB won't get features updates, what kinds of features do they mean?
    Mightn't there be some future features that will make LTSB users regret not having those features?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Start menu changes, design changes like UI stuff. Feature changes, etc.
    It's locked in. If you want to upgrade LTSB, you can only do it from another LTSB iso.

15. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    You CAN install the store, but it's a lot better idea to just use normal enterprise and remove apps you don't want.
    At least then you wouldn't have any potential problems with compatibility.

16. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I installed the regular Enterprise N when looking for the LTSB N version and it had the same apps as my valid Windows 10 Pro. So it was really no point in just hacking away at it as I would have with the Pro version.

The point was to hopefully have a clean copy such as LTSB N and add only my select choices without having to hack away at it.

Oh well.... It was worth a shot.

17. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015

Oh really? :confused:

Details please

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Suppose I put the store and license file on a filehost site.
    Suppose you install it.

There's no guarantee that the store will function correctly since it's on a LTSB version of Windows.
    If you still want to risk it, let me know.

19. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Discovery requires experimentation.

Yes please