M$ killed my activation! SLIC 2.1 in bios

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by danwalmsley, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Run the diagnostic on each of them, compare the oem information like Brain discribed, look for inconsistancies in the ones that failed and compare them to the ones that passed. If you can identifiy a pattern other than cert and key mismatches then that could be usefull, but as it is now it just looks like some dodgy mods or other factors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I don't smell a rat, everyone is looking for patterns in how WAT works, if he finds something usefull it's all to the better, if he doesn't, well atleast he is occupied and not out chassing.... well, nevermind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    EDIT: There is a lot of information in those reports, and if past history with MS is concerned, half of it is probably rubbish just to keep us confused and guessing, figure out what they actually use to match against their definitions and you will figure out how it all works.

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Since there has been reports of M$ deactivating legit OEM computers like HP and Dell I would either remove the WAT update, rearm, the reactivate and stay clear of the WAT update afterwords or get a different bios mod that has another companies slic instead of Dell or HP dude. I hope this helps.

5. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    #25 danwalmsley, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I managed to run the command by first running icacls C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe /grant *S-1-1-0:F

This allowed me to WatAdminSvc.exe /run,

A popup followed shortly after stating your windows is not genuine!!! What command will give me the activation info that maybe one of you can diagnose?

Cheers for your help everyone!

7. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Sorry! A bit offtopic from me but according to the topic: How dare they? ;D

8. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    #28 MasterDisaster, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I cant post a screenshot, I use chrome and the upload image doesn't work!!! I tried internet explorer and it always says my username and password are invalid, although I did post all the slic toolkit details earlier (I now have the cert installed correctly (Read OK ! ( DELL_V2.1_Cert.xrm-ms ) From: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\tokens.dat)

Do I still need to repair the tokens file?

10. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    If everything says OK in the toolkit then you should Validate one more time and see.

I have an alternative but will tell you only if required.

11. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    OK I ran your commands to restore the tokens.dat, my DELL-OEM.XRM-MS cert was uninstalled, however it hasnt made a differenece, I will re-install the certificate and then activate 2 times, to see if that works....

12. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    It is still not working, I re-ran the activation command, watadminsvc /run

Nothing seemed to happen I waited 5 minutes then restarted, nothing!

13. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
  14. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    #35 MasterDisaster, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Thnak you for posting it

First things first, you have a ASUS slic according to Windows, so you need to install ASUS 2.1 certificate.
    Second, you have some how disabled all WAT elements, that is why the online validation fails.

15. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    #37 MasterDisaster, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    user32.dll is modified, run sfc /scannow in an elevated cmd prompt to fix it
    Run the icalcs command for the rest of the WAT files also.
    Code:
    icacls C:\Windows\system32\Wat\watux.exe /grant *S-1-1-0:F
    icacls C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatWeb.dll /grant *S-1-1-0:F
    icacls C:\Windows\system32\Wat\npWatWeb.dll /grant *S-1-1-0:F

16. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks for your excellent help running the scan now, what about the modified wat files? I will run icalcs npwatweb.dll, or is the command different than that?

17. danwalmsley

danwalmsley MDL Member

Oct 15, 2009
    out of interest why would dell want to use an asus slic in an official bios?

18. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Dell wasn't using the asus slic, 7loader was emulating it.