Mac on ordinary laptop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    "emulate" your joking aren't you?, a mac is a pc with max os installed.

2. peppe1945

peppe1945 MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    you can try iatkos if you need atom kernel

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Any kind of osx86 or iAtkos/iKaros are usually a pain on a Laptop, as of the poor restricted BIOSes.

Better chance on a Desktop.

4. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    #24 Doctor, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    This, Laptops variate too much to get a reliable install. i've tried it on two different Laptops (Acer Aspire 5633 and Dell Vostro 1500) and they just dont take it well.

personally, i'd either buy a macbook or hackintosh a desktop.

Edit: just saw the original post dates, oops :eek: but this may aswell be an advisory to anyone else checking the thread, Don't bother! its a huge waste of time on a laptop, even if you do get it working, it probably wont last long.

5. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #25 Muerto, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021

6. DonaldCrader

DonaldCrader MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2012
    Hi, first of all let it find out whether your hardware will support mac or not. If hardware support is available then you can download iso with 4 gb and have to burn after that you need to dual boot the whole system then it might work. But be aware that it will require a lot of research and read.

7. doggie015

doggie015 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    Well if you have an OSX 10.6.x install disk you can use the guide located at... Ugh... stupid forum software will not let me post the link... just google "Tonymacx86 iboot + multibeast" (without quotes) and click on the first result!

Note that it only works with a retail install disk! They're fairly cheap nowadays so it's easy to pick one up!

I am surprised at how few people on this forum know about how easy it can be...

8. lokster

lokster MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Agreed, i dont think anyone has really tried to make a hackintosh laptop, ive done in for my HP DV4 1430us, im running on Lion 10.7.2 using the iAtkos distro with no Kernel panics and everything working like a regular laptop, wifi and webcam, and the native display resolution, i can xcode, browse and photoshop on my hackintosh, dual boot with windows 7

9. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Why don't you keep your basic os and install mac on VMware... I did so and I ma using it... and steps are much easy than installing it on physical pc. Google for steps.

10. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Look into iAtkos

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I was never impressed by "exclusive", i.e. "elitist" ideas...

And MacBigots are full of them, from what I have seen...

Mac is too expensive and no longer superior to PC.

Even I - an IT lay person - know that... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I don't like Mac PCs but I do like their OS. Mountain Lion is the sleekest OS in my opinion.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  14. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    See my tutorial: http ://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/41722-Tutorial-How-to-Install-Mac-OS-X-10-7-Lion-on-VMWare-Workstation?p=702808#post702808

15. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Won't that lag a lot?

16. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Virtualising OS X will only lag if the host machine has insufficient resources. In other words, don't try to virtualize OS X on a computer that only has 2GB RAM.

However, installing it on a computer directly will give you the best experience. If you buy just about any Asus or Gigabyte motherboard, Core2Duo better CPU and cheap Nvidia graphics card, you could easily install OS X on it with just about no extra effort.I ran OS X Mountain Lion for months on an Asus motherboard/core2duo CPU based media center. Everything worked fine. I have Mountain Lion server running on a similar spec machine also with no problems. If you current computer meets these specs, disconnect the existing hard drive, plug in a spare hard drive and try installing OS X on it. That way prevents you messing up your existing Windows installation. The guides provided at TonyMacx86.com are excellent and have helped me install OS X successfully several times on windows based computers.

17. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    That depends on many factors. In my case, I give it enough resources, 2 processors and 2 GB RAM, it runs fast enough for me. My host machine has 8GB RAM :D

18. weince_91

weince_91 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2011
    its always not easy to have a MAC OS on a windows base laptop !!!

19. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    why why why why? Mac OSX is partly open source. if you like it @pple didnt stop you like M$ does. it gives the gpl and lgpl source for free. learn the basic and then build your own OS 10. Hackintosh is aargh, well nice cool features, well i like darwin. its from apple and its for free. whats wrong ........ why always people take short cut.
    why why why why, do i always fail to understand. If you cant build yourself darwin which is based on netbsd and If you like OSX so much then buy a mac simple.
    If you have this much time to waste and money i suppose to to waste, and you cant afford to eat bread then buy the cake fully.
    this is ridiculous. i keep on bumping to these questions again and again and again. If you dont understand what i say, go back to M$ Windows.
    some chap asked here a similar question how to block his kids from visiting unwated sites in OSX. my reply was "Educate yourself first then your kids" likewise how sebus said if you dont understand these you dont deserve to use it.
    another idiosyncratic post where i posted my vew to attract more hatred toward myself.
    anyway i have to rush to coreboot enough time wasted replying to this post. thank you.
    oh yeah we in coreboot wont support macintosh and/or slic directly. thanks again.
    -duh