Make a bootable USB drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alextheg, Sep 6, 2009.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Ok so im about to flash my bios and i need to make a bootable usb drive. I dont have usable one laying around so im wondering ? I have a Nokia N96 with 16gb memory is it feasible to use this as a bootable usb drive. This amy / may not be a dumb question bat heh, if you dont ask you never know ? :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    I would say NO because a Boot drive needs to be Reformated to FAT and have the necessary system files on it to be able to boot properly.
    Personally I would not do a BIOS flash without knowing that I could recover to a working BIOS if the flash failed.
    I would use either a bootable USB drive or a Floppy Disk.

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Quite agree, there is no way on earth im going to flash my bios without the means to recover it. Just wondered really as the N96 can be used as a portable usb mass storage device. In the device manager of the phone the 16gb memory is displayed as its own drive hence i thought it may be possible.....ah well !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
  5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks folks, will give it a go. Its going to have to work 100% though as when i eventually flash my bios if things go wrong i will be using it to re-flash with my original rom file.

6. C.L.A.N. 0³

C.L.A.N. 0³ MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Very usefull info, will try this on my wife's netbook!

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    If you need to squeeze it onto a 2 gb pen drive (X86 only) use vlite and remove the language packs you don't need and the speech support, removing media center will give you another 350mb's. otherwise you need a 4gb or larger drive. make sure you select rebuild ultimate only when you apply the changes before making the ISO or it will not save any space.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Update

Ok so im not sure whether or not his will be of interest but i just thought i would update this anyway. Using the mass storage of a mobile phone , in my case Nokia N96 is not going to work. The phone needs to connect through windows via one of 4 options:
    1.Media transfer
    2.Mass storage
    3.PC Suite
    4.Music Player.
    Basically at boot theses options will do no good at all because the phone will not establish a proper usb connection. Certainly not a good option for my situation which was to use it in case of a bad bios flash. :D

9. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #10 whitehat2009, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #11 Phazor, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks for that Whitehat. However ive reached the end of the road on the bootable usb matter. My crumby HP Pavillion elite m9090 does not support usb booting and as i also have no floppy drive i dont think i will be flashing my bios. Its beginning to look like to risky an endeavour for me at the moment. A great shame as both Busykid508 and Nojuan999 were kind enough to mod my bios for me. Im really concerned, HP are known for being tricky from what i gather. Im certainly not saying that the modded bios wont work as Busykid and Nojuan obviously are experienced modders, its just the uncertainty of being able to recover if the flash goes wrong. I really dont want to be buying a new mobo right now...........I think i'll just rearm and then go for softmod until im brave enough to go for the bios mod.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ alextheg, you can also make bootable cd but i understand if you don't want to take the risk :)

13. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Could you link me some info on this urie..... if you know of any of course.

14. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    #15 apollopimp, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    i have 3 use drives a 4gb , 1gb and a 256k i have tried every program to make them boot Dos there boot-able and have the files on them but when i reboot my laptop i have 2 i have tried them on the both just stay on a black screen.. what is wrong just trying to figure this out so i can flash my bios with slic 2.1

15. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Check your bios settings. Is there a usb boot option there? There might be 2 one for usb hdd and another one. You need to move those to the top of the boot priority list. Then try booting from them.

16. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    #17 apollopimp, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    i have a dv9200 and a nx7400 i want to flash the dv9200..

i did what you said and i have the nx7400 booting the usb but the dv9200 still is giving me a black screen.. any idea why it is still not booting on the dv9200