Make Way - 7048.winmain_win7rc1.090211-1625 is already talked about!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ph03n!x, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MSbetatester

MSbetatester MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    #21 MSbetatester, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009

Incorrect. Windows has had an email client integrated since Win98. Every beta since then had a version of Outlook Express or Windows Mail in the beta test phase.

Since Windows 7 is built on top of Vista, they literally had to remove Windows Mail.

2. zwaldowski

zwaldowski MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    Ironically, though, they keep Windows Address Book in the "Windows Mail" folder for compatibility purposes... which is a compatibility thing in itself that just launches the "Contacts" folder in Explorer. And, they have a "WinMail.exe.mui" in the Windows Mail/en-US folder, too... hmpf. :p

I, myself, and really glad they're removing the crappy OOTB apps... I just wish they'd have an on-par Windows Movie Maker. Hell, just pull it out, slap a "Live" title on it, and give it an installer! Same with DVD Maker... it makes no sense that we have little to no Windows Movie Maker but DVD Maker.

3. MSbetatester

MSbetatester MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    This one will be easy.

Your funny. Do you still have your invite email? I direct your attention to the second bullet in the section paraphrased "what they want from us". Yea, the one with the word "opinions" in it.

Of course. That was my point. So, where did I say the daily builds were stable? Really... where? I said "most will run". Why are you responding like I said something more. In your head, are you adding to what I actually said? I hope not. That would be pathetic. Opps we are not that far down yet.

Then why not tell us the plan, instead of silence as they prepare RC1.

Another "everyone else is wrong and I am right" statement. YES, here is where "pathetic" goes. I refer you to the invite email and that opinion bullet.

So has everyone else. Who has said any different? Now, about those responses... opinion bullet. Careful what you ask for.

For this I will not joke or disagree. Many companies are in the same situation. I feel for all those employees that are impacted. MS may be forced to delay plans, including dev projects.

Nope. Quote from me, "I will not quit! MS will have to throw me off the beta team. I am dedicated to making Windows all that it can be!!"

4. MSbetatester

MSbetatester MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    It is called passion. Ever hear of it? It requires feelings. ;-)

5. 112wicked112

112wicked112 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2009
    linux ftw. I've got 10 windows open i'm burning a disk and listening to music and im suprised that all these tasks only use 312 megs of ram. When I do nothing on windows 7 I use 622 megs of ram. linux ftw

6. Hynesy

Hynesy MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2008
    Mate, if you want to push Linux go post in the Linux topics, this is a discussion about Windows 7 NOT a discussion of Linux vs. Windows 7. Really a flame war waiting to happen. :)

7. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007

It's been over two years since Windows 6.x has been released, and you people still don't understand that RAM is meant to be USED, not conserved?
    Christ....do some reading man.

8. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    #29 win7, Feb 20, 2009
    Anybody noticed how most desktop linux fans have real crap pc's??

I don't argue its the obvious choice for a server though.

Win7 FTW.

9. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    +1 I completely agree with you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    The only thing about the whole beta process that concerns me is the speed at which builds are coming out. The thing is that stuff is getting fixed long before beta testers report them it seems so it doesn't matter that much. We will see when the final product comes out.

11. MSbetatester

MSbetatester MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    #32 MSbetatester, Feb 20, 2009
    I wonder if they have automated a lot of this testing? What some are afraid of is the zillions of hardware/software configurations that the huge beta testers bring to the game. MS can only have so many of those configurations in house. That is one of the concerns of not getting builds to the masses, so to speak. How do they flush that out those zillion configurations in just one beta build?

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    It's easy they don't. They use the it's the fault of the manufacturer game, or the hardware is too old game... what is another one they play I know!! The well it worked in our lab it is a mixture of your components, or the plausible deniability game.

Is it right? Yes, No, Maybe, I can't say for certain because I never have had a problem with a Windows OS, all my configs work, my hardware plays nice with Windows and other components.

That is the way of the world though, it costs a lot of money for beta testing, and eventually you have to release that product finished or not, because of money. If you want to make any money you can't keep a product in beta forever. So you release the best possible product you can in the time allotted. If MS wants to make holiday season '09 they need to RTM by July.

Short beta? Yes, but look at the release times between XP and Windows 2000, 2000 was only on the market a year or less before XP came out. It seems like with major kernel releases they take more time, with minor kernel releases they take less time. I mean the core of the OS is already built on 6.0 so you take the HCL from that and test your older hardware on that and write the new stuff off as working.

13. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Im getting inpatient again now, want new builds...

14. MSbetatester

MSbetatester MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    We can dream, but...

At this point, It is probably too late. They would need plan to create a separate build branch for such a stable build. They would need to track all the latest stable code. They obviously haven't been in that mind set. It is not a easy to just release one of the daily builds. The daily builds are done for specific testing and may have very unstable code to test. They are not always stable enough even for beta sites, let alone for the public.

15. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I don't care, i found 7022 much better than 7000 and would happily install a later daily build to try.

16. resident21

resident21 MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    I agree, There is always a chance to upgrade or downgrade OS with upgrade option . You won't lose any program installation.

17. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Win7, i don't know if you use NIS09, but could u try to install it, and see if it works?
    It's one of the major stepbacks, that stops me from using the 7022 version, since i had it installed and it seemed that NIS09 wouldn't work... =S

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Norton? No sorry im not installing that, always used nod32, always will. If it didn't work for you on 7022 i see no reason why it may work for me?