Make Windows 8 metro-style "Video" app to play MKV, other video file types

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Jun 3, 2012.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Is there any way to make Windows 8 metro-style "Video" app to play MKV and other video file types via codecs or via any other hack, please... (it does play avi, mp4, wmv etc already)

So far I have tried to:

-- "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program"
    -- Right-click on a MKV file and tried to change its "open with" properties but ultimately can't get to "Video" app via this route
    -- Found properties of Video app from task manager: Microsoft.ZuneVideo_1.0.810.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe, which is a folder not an .exe. After changing security permission I was able to open "Microsoft.ZuneVideo_1.0.810.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" folder which is inside "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps", but can't find any .exe or a file to open Video app from there as it's a metro-style app.

Many thanks.

2. opengates

opengates MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    #2 opengates, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Run the following from an elevated CMD:
    Code:
    reg add HKCR\.mkv\OpenWithProgids /v "AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt" /t REG_BINARY /f
    (or create a new .reg file paste the following inside, then merge it )
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv\OpenWithProgids]
    "AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt"=hex:
    Now rightclick an mkv, select 'Open with' and click 'Video'.
    Don't get your hopes up, though, as the Video app won't be able to actually play it despite the codecs being installed (same as the Zune software).

3. johnnygt

johnnygt MDL Senior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    thanks mate i tried this first method and excepted it but i cannot see "Video" under "Open With" ?

4. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #4 xscess, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  5. vcfan

vcfan MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    yea,if there are mediafoundation codecs and containers, then that will allow mkvs and such to play in metro, but I don't think the xbox video app supports that, someone would have to create a video player that supports these codecs and containers.