Managed to brick my laptop - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by irritant, Jan 16, 2010.

1. irritant

irritant MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    In an attempt to get a modded Phoenix bios onto my Sager NP9280, I've managed to end up with a rather expensive brick.

I originally had bios version 1.00.04S on my laptop and when searching for an existing mod found one for 1.00.03i. Having no luck getting a mod for the bios I had, I decided to downgrade to 1.00.03i which was successful.

The modded bios seemed to install ok, but when I turn on, the computer never actually boots from a drive even after going through all the bios screens seemingly ok.

I end up on a black screen, at which point I'd expect Windows to load, but nothing happens. Pressing any keys results in beeps after a few keypresses. The only thing that seems to do any different is pressing F2 which prints up "Entering setup..." again.

I've tried booting from all drives available - internal, external sata, CDROM & USB key, but there is no difference.

I've also tried changing every setting in the bios to no avail.

Anyone had the same thing happen? Can anyone suggest how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. zamolxis

zamolxis MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
  3. irritant

irritant MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    Thanks for your response, but you've failed to understand my problem. I cannot flash my bios as I cannot boot from any device.

4. zamolxis

zamolxis MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    you dont understand me,
    burn the iso on cd-rom.
    enter in recovery mode: push fn+b and power up your machine.
    after biosupdate the machine make a autoreboot,that all.

5. irritant

irritant MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    Ah, ok. I understand now. I have been reading about Phoenix bios recovery on another thread now and I've tried the above - fn+b, win+b, fn+f & fn+esc, but all to no avail. Tried with CD in drive and also bootable usb.

Should this method always work for modern laptops?