MB of Laptop repaired, Windows 10 activation gone!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Jul 20, 2017.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Simply true!

I don't need help on this, and for sure I didn't like speculations, which tends to end up in arguments and more bad outcome like attacks etc., etc.! As I wrote in OP, this is for information purpose what may could happen in cases of repairs, what ever those are!

And if I want help, I would ask for that because I'm an imperfect normal human.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Even If he lost his HWID bud he can still recover his activation!, Windows 10 Activation for builds 14393 and later stores activation on the persons Microsoft account for that machine and covers the replacement of the motherboard.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    IF they ever linked it.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, if that Server which handles that request is working! That Server wasn't available from yesterday night until this afternoon! As this was the first time I needed to reactivate this way, I didn't know that will really work!
    That, I don't know they did?!

Anyway, I use legally obtained Product Keys and there isn't any problem for to go the 'normal' way! And as I already was like to do a clean install on that Laptop anyway, it was a good time for that! I was just thinking that's maybe a good idea to let others know WHAT maybe could (but must) happen in such case of repair, so I created this thread. But I was wrong, I think now!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I have 70+ HWID's listed on just one of my MSA's :D

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    How do you look that up? I couldn't do the math on mine.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It's very possible to install 10 without creating an account, but to have an insider edition, then I think you must have a M$ account, so using your account should re-enable your license

8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i agree is totally crazy in modern computing changing the chipset and repairing a wifi module....thats not cost effective...just buy a new mobo....that make no sense to me.

9. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    So did he get the comp finally activated?

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The HWID's are for Home (+N) and Pro (+N) only, and i run Pro at the moment.

11. So Pisthai were you able to activate your machine?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The short answer to you and others: NO!

A clean reinstall was needed starting with 8.1, activating, following by update to 10 (auto-activated) and clean install of 10 again.

Just that wasn't why I opened this thread, that was for plain information only and not to start any discussion and/or argument about that repair and others. I simply hate the way many members going for to try to start arguments with posters on MDL!

Thanks for understanding.

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Glad it worked out for you @pisthai !

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    If they replaced the WiFi module, then the new one has a different MAC address. The MAC address is a big part of the hardware/HWID (3x the other used components, AFAIK). Change of the primary network interface (and thus the MAC) is a big chance for needing reactivation due to "Hardware Out Of Tolerance (OOT)".

16. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    Install Windows 10 on a different harddrive or on a VHD, activate using your Windows 8.1 key, then put your harddrive back and it should activate, even if it doesn't happen instantly. I do this all the time and it almost always works. Sometimes even something as simple as reprogramming the eeprom can cause Windows 10 to deactivate itself.

17. costabreve

costabreve MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I repair branded computers with original license of win 7 or 8.1 professional installing it on windows 10 pro.

Until version 1607 cloning hard disks, if the source disk belongs to a computer already activated then there are no problems. On the receiving PC to complete the activation just use the "change product key" option and enter the key on its label.

However, from version 1703 this unfortunately DOES NOT WORK.

So this also happens by changing hardware.

Proven and working solutions:

1) Brutal Solution: crack with Microsoft Toolkit.
    2) Quick and Legal Solution: Use the "change producy key" option by entering a Win 10 key, not Win 7 or 8.1.
    3) Longer Solution: Clean Win 10 installation and re-insert Win 7 or 8.1 key on the target computer.

4) Finally, the best but more complex solution:

- Clean installation Win 10 Pro 1703 on another PC, or on a virtual machine or on the same PC using another hard drive.
    For safety, keep the computer disconnected from the network so it does not have to be activated.

- Using a bootable dvd with WinPE.
    Copy these files to a USB stick:
    % SystemRoot% \ system32 \ spp \ store \ 2.0 \ data.dat
    % SystemRoot% \ system32 \ spp \ store \ 2.0 \ tokens.dat
    % SystemRoot% \ System32 \ spp \ store \ 2.0 \ Cache \ cache.dat
    C: \ ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ ClipSVC \ token.dat

Open regedit and export the following registry key and always save it on the USB stick:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\{7746D80F-97E0-4E26-9543-26B41FC22F79}

- Always using the same bootable DVD with WinPE
    Boot on the target PC that you can not activate.
    Delete files and replace them with those saved on the USB stick.
    % SystemRoot% \ system32 \ spp \ store \ 2.0 \ data.dat
    % SystemRoot% \ system32 \ spp \ store \ 2.0 \ tokens.dat
    % SystemRoot% \ System32 \ spp \ store \ 2.0 \ Cache \ cache.dat
    C: \ ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ ClipSVC \ token.dat

Open regedit and delete the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\{7746D80F-97E0-4E26-9543-26B41FC22F79}

Import the registry key saved on the USB stick.
    ( Use the import file menu. Do not double-click on the file .reg )

Ok
    Remove the DVD.
    Restart your computer and reconnect the network.
    You will now be able to activate windows with the Win 7 or 8.1 product key.

18. MDeaks

MDeaks MDL Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hello Everyone;

EXCELLENT POSTED STEPS - OP= [costa*...] shown below -
    WORKS!!!!! every-time on WIn10 Pro <tested on following OEM hardware = HP, Lenovo & Dell.
    I just used it to update few of inhouse use PC's, Laptops and Desktops to Win10Pro.>

Thanks for the post - much appreciated.