MDT Capture Issues

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by abdulhasnat, Dec 18, 2014.

1. abdulhasnat

abdulhasnat MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if I'm on the right forum.

I am using MDT 2013 on server 2012. I am trying to capture a windows 7 x64 image. I have create a capture task sequence but when I try to capture an image it goes through the whole process then at the end it says it has failed. Below is the message:

Deployment Summary
    Failure
    Operating system deployment did not complete successfully.
    Please review the log files to determine the cause of the problem.
    During the deployment process, 9 errors, 0 warnings were reported.

Details
    Error creating an image of drive D; rc = 2
    ZTI ERROR – Non-zero return code by ZTIBackup, rc = 2
    Litetouch deployment failed, return code = -2147467259 0x80004005
    Failed to run the action: Create WIM.
    The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 00000002; Source: Windows)
    The execution of the group (Capture Image) has failed and the execution has been aborted.
    An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
    Failed to run the last action: Create WIM. Execution of the task sequence failed.
    The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 00000002; Source: Windows)
    Task sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005

I have successfully managed to deploy an image to a laptop. MDT has been installed recently and this is the first time I am trying to capture an image.

I am using the following customer settings ini for Capture:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES

Thanks in advance.

2. Googolplex

Googolplex MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Send me a PM if you're still having problems.
    I'll send you my contact details and we'll see if I can do something for you.
    I am quite experienced with MDT 2013. :cool:

3. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #3 Rab, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Hi.

First of all I'll recommend you use a VM for creating a reference image. I know that's not the issue here, but it will save you a lot of time in the long run. Trust me on that...
    Just imagine not having close to if not exceeding 200 updates to install afterwards.
    Using a VM is great even if it's slow on old hardware. The reason for its greatness is that there's just not much that might break when you later wants to deploy the image.
    Just remember not to put everything into this one. Updates ofcourse and if it’s, say c++ or silverlight or standard apps like WinRar etc. its ok, but stay away from specialized ones like Photoshop or Office. Those you install in deployment task sequence later...

And there’s a neat trick to clean up the image before capturing that I found at Deployment Bunny deploymentbunny.com/2014/06/05/nice-to-know-get-rid-of-all-junk-before-sysprep-and-capture-when-creating-a-reference-image-in-mdt/
    Great info on how to as well.
    deploymentresearch.com is another great source of information. (Both of them have a plethora of customsettings.ini-s and bootstrap.inis as well)

The number ONE reason capturing fail toe is AV. Never ever try to capture an image with Antivirus installed.
    The number two is IE 10. It breaks the Unatend.xml and needs to be edited. Remove the <IEWelcomeMsg>false</IEWelcomeMsg> from your task sequence before you capture and you will be fine.

Any way. My ten cents worth of know how. Enjoy. :biggrin:

/Rab.

To Moderator: If I'm out of line linking to sites elsewhere please feel free to edit and if so notice me some how.

4. idmanager

idmanager MDL Junior Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Make the capture x64 image with server 2008, there was a fault with the original release and the x64 capture wim was faulty, im not sure if this has been fixed in the latest release as i just used 2008 and imported it into my 2013 mdt